The SMART Book Club's Reviews > Hello, I Love You

Hello, I Love You by Katie M. Stout

Jun 29, 2015

bookshelves: favorites, romance, ya, realistic-fiction

See other reviews here.

‘Hello, I Love You’ was amazing. Immediately after I finished it, I had to read it again. It was that good. And honestly, before reading the book I was a bit worried that the book was hyped up too much and that my expectations would be too high. Thankfully, this book not only met said expectations, but also exceeded them.

First off, I’ll discuss the characters. There was Grace Wilde, the main character. She was smart, funny, incredibly sarcastic – which was awesome – and let’s not forget courageous. Straight off the bat, it was easy to see that Grace wasn’t the most innocent of teenagers. There was some event that scarred her for life, and this bit of knowledge completely changed the way I perceived her actions – she most definitely wasn’t some sniveling, timid girl in high school. No, she had a backbone, and she wasn’t afraid to let anybody and everybody know that. And, yes, most heroines in books have this quality or grow into it, but those heroines are the ones fighting dragons in some other dimension. Grace was the real deal, with the verve and determination, in a world that actually resembles the society that we live in today – no dragons involved.

And then there was Jason Bae, the KPOP idol. He was a total TDH. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it stands for Tall, Dark and Handsome. In other words, he was an utterly swoon worthy character. The minute Ms. Stout introduced him, it was too late. Both Grace and I were head over heels in love with him. As the book progresses, you also get a better handle of who Jason is. He becomes someone who you can actually trust, someone who’ll listen to your problems and actually be there for you. He basically becomes the perfect boyfriend. And trust me, reading this book ruins other guys.

Next, let’s discuss the romance plot, which was basically the whole book. It was gorgeous. Sure, the beginning was a bit slow, but after a while the sparks between Grace and Jason were flying! There were quite a few incredibly cute moments where I was screaming for the two of them to stop being stupid and realize how much they liked each other. It was absolutely aggravating how long it took for them to get together, but it was that aggravation that made the ending even more adorable. Is there anything better than that final moment, the swooping climax where the stars align and everything goes along perfectly? The only problem I had with this book was that some of the romantic gestures/scenes were a bit clichéd, but that was such a small problem.

So a few things to keep in mind about this book: the ending is phenomenal. The beginning and middle are also good but they're a bit slower. The romance plot is fantastic - absolutely impossible to put down. Additionally, this book met and exceeded all expectations I had for it. And finally, it's total chick-lit; I would definitely recommend it to anybody who likes to read YA romance novels. In summary, Ms. Stout has written a first-rate debut novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello, I Love You.

Finished Reading