C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Girl from Everywhere

The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

Jun 29, 2015

bookshelves: 4-star, magical-fantasy, read-2016, young-adult, time-travel, read-2017, reread
Read 2 times. Last read July 20, 2017 to July 21, 2017.

REREAD: July 2017

Duuuuude. Everything about this book reminds me of ALL the things I love reading about: pirates, ships, treasure, dashing thieves, epic navigator women, really delicious pastries, tiny pocket-sized dragons, SO MANY MAPS, ghosts, and plenty of sass. It's basically a CHECKLIST OF AWESOME and I'm so pleased. Reread was 100% worth it. Although I'm still vaguely confused at who was pitted against who in the Honolulu thievery thingie at the end. I thought the reread would improve it?? But yet no. I have no brain, just seaweed and good intentions.

ANYWAY. Straight onto the sequel!

And Kash x Nix is like OTP OF DENIAL AND LOVE. <3 <3

*** FIRST READ: JANUARY 2016 ***

Oh this was a delicious specimen of ships and time travel and I THINK I AM IN LOVE. This is my first ever time travel book, and it was successful? Like only mildly. Because this review isn't going to be me FLAPPING ABOUT WITH HAPPY FLAILS OF COURSE NOT. I am logical. I am calm. Ahem.

"So why did you love this book so much, Cait?" you ask. "And what the even heck is it about?"

Here, let me explain ALL with a handy dandy list.

All The Things You Need Know About This Book:

• It is about time travel and pirate ships. But not REALLY pirate ships??? But after reading the author's notes, I think the story is inspired by a pirate heist in the 1800s in Hawaii. (Which is freaking cool.) ANYWAY. The characters are somewhat modern, but the book is mostly set in the 1800s. (Although they do pop into modern New York at the beginning.) It's basically about Captain Slate who is a time-travel-dude, and his daughter Nix, and their search to find the "right map" to take them back in time to save his wife from dying.

DID I MENTION I FREAKING LOVE MAPS????? Omg, I love maps. Okay, see, I've had an obsession with them since I was a wee gnat. And this book is BUILT on maps. You have to have the "right map" to get to a certain place.

• Although I won't lie sometimes it got confusing? Stuff at the end went WHEEEST over my head. But whatever.

• Diversity. DUH. I love diversity and not only was Nix, the protagonist, half-Chinese...her best friend Kashmir was Persian, one of the crew members was African and lesbian, and there is an incredible variety of ethnic culture squished in here. INCREDIBLE.

And let's talk about the writing, okay?! Because it was decidedly delicious. Okay, but I won't deny: it bordered on "saying too much" at times. Like I could tell the book was really enthusiastic about history. OF COURSE! It's a time travel book! But sometimes with the pages of explaining a myth that just...I was a little bored? It was cool and interesting, but it distracted from the story.

• Then there was Kash.... Ahhhh, Kash. He is a little slippery fingered, silver tongued, their and I LOVED HIM. So much sass. So much banter.
"You're blocking the view."
"I am the view, amira," he said, framing himself with his hands.

"I never knew you had such a fine eye for fabrics," I said as we continued up the street. "You should have been a tailor instead of a thief."
"I have a fine eye for all things, amira, which is why I'm a thief and not a tailor."

Dangit sassy smooth-talking thieves are my ultimate downfall. <3

• Which leads me to talk about a) the romance, and b) Nix. But they should probably be separated in different dot points. Omg, who is writing this review??? They are making a mess.

• Firstly NIX. Our bonnie narrator. Okay, I confess: I didn't like her so much? She didn't appear to have a lot of personality and was constantly dimmed by the fantastic vibrant characters all around her. I mean, I didn't hate her or anything!! But I wanted more from her, for sure.

• Which leads to the romance... You know what? This is NOT a very romantic book. It's more about friendship and while you kinda end up shipping Kash and Nix (AND I WON'T SAY WHAT HAPPENS BECAUSE DUH: SPOILERS) they are very solidly friends firstly. Which I really loved! As a not-particularly-romantic-reader myself, it didn't bother me that the romance was quite downplayed. I loved how it was handled. <3

• Plus they have sass and witty banter and I'm 1000% onboard with that. (HAR HAR "ONBOARD" HAR HAR.)

There is also a tiny pocket dragon. I want one. I can't even. Because I want one just that bad.

• I did get annoyed at the last minute "Omigosh, don't let Nixie do anything dangerous!" Because what the heck dudes?? It's a) sexist, and b) she's doing dangerous stuff with you ALL THE TIME but now you choose to be jerks about it??? Not a fan.

• Okay but did I mentions MAPS AND DRAGONS to you yet???? I'm legitimately hyperventilating because I love that so much.

• (Although in case you get the wrong idea, the dragon isn't a HUGE part? More like teh book incorporates a lot of mythology and they collect it onboard the Temptation? So they collected a tiny dragon. It doesn't do that much, but I liked that it was there.)

Also occasionally FOOD. Which I love.
A table was laid on the deck, and on the table, all the culinary delights New York had to offer: pungent halal chicken and rise doused in hot sauce, pork dumplings in Styrofoam clamshells, a cardboard box marked difara's pizza, pastrami sandwiches thick as dictionaries, creamy cheesecake covered with glistening scarlet strawberries.
Kashmire flung his arms wide. "Happy theft day!"

<333333

• I mean, I do have niggly doubts? Like the fact that it DRAGGED in the middle and I was quite bored. And how, even though it was a visual FEAST and I loved that, sometimes it bogged down the flow of the story.

• But overall? I'M SO GLAD THIS WAS GOOD. I really really really wanted to like this one and it is definitely a highly of the year so far. Oh shush, I know it's only January. BUT I AM ALLOWED TO BE EXCITE.

• If you want a story that involves ships and thieves and obsessions and maps and diversity, then this is for you. It's for me anyway. ALL FOR ME. I want to hug this book. Also take two minutes and fall in love with both the UK and US covers. Also I love this book.

"The last thing we need is for you to go to jail."
"For treason?" he said, running a comb through his touseled hair. "We wouldn't go to jail."
"Really?"
"We'd be shot."
"You always know just what to say."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl from Everywhere.

June 29, 2015 – Shelved
June 29, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 22, 2016 – Started Reading
January 22, 2016 –
20.0% "THIS IS REALLY REALLY GOOD AND I'M SO RELIEVED. Also there is a sassy thief involved. Why do I have a thing for sassy, thieves? WHO CAN KNOW. But the love is real."
January 23, 2016 –
51.0% "ALERT! ALERT! SHE HAS A LITTLE TINY DRAGON.\n I think I'm in love with this book."
January 24, 2016 –
72.0% "I still solidly love this bUT. It is suffering from middle-of-the-book-let-us-draaaag-and-do-nothing syndrome.\n I suggest someone needs to be murdered and chaos ensue.\n Wait. What? Wrong genre? SHHHHHH."
January 24, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-star
July 20, 2017 – Started Reading
July 20, 2017 –
page 117
25.77% "Me: *spies a super sassy character*
Me: MY SON. MY FAVOURITE. MY LIGHT OF THE WORLD."
July 21, 2017 –
page 224
49.34% "Kash: I'd do anything for love too.
Nix: Hmm.
Kash: [STARES POINTEDLY]
Nix: Okay so let's talk about maps--
Kash: [DYING ON THE INSIDE]"
July 21, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
July 21, 2017 – Shelved as: reread
July 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Zara (new) - added it

Zara This book sounds fantastic! Hope you enjoy it.

C.G. Drews I hope so too! So far I like it!!

Ivy Bookqueen Outstanding review

message 4: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Great review! So glad you loved it. You're making me so excited to read this one!

message 5: by Zara (new) - added it

Zara Amazing review! Pirates, maps, dragons, food - The Girl From Everywhere sounds super-duper cool!

ClaireEva Oh gosh Cait I love you reviews, LOVE THEM!
I need to write more reviews for work and wish I could write reviews as amazing as yours. It feels like you just get me, is that weird? :p

Rachel's Book Reviews I was supposed to get this at ALAMW....and then I didn't get to go. :P Everytime I see a book that I hotly wanted, I die a little on the inside XD

Rachel's Book Reviews *Which means, I'm glad you liked it, I want it so bad <- insert jealous kitty face here.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis Have you read Ten Thousand Skies Above you, by Claudia Grey? It is about inter-dimensional time travel and is totally awesome. There is some romance, but the most intriguing aspect is how she responds to different versions of herself and her family in various dimensions.

Oh shoot, just read it, or request a sample on Kindle.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Julie: I have read that, actually. ;D I didn't mind it! (Extreme cover love, hehe.)

Stephanie I felt like that with Nix as well, like I expected more from her BECAUSE everyone around her was so fabulous.
I think I'm going to read the second just to see how it goes, but not sure.

Hannahbanana I loved this book! <3

message 15: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie Great review(s)! My library has this Eaudiobook, but you said MAPS. I'm a fellow map lover. Maybe I'll check out the book just to look at the maps & still listen to the audio.

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Tandie: I read it via an eARC ebook the first time so it didn't have all the maps! IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE MAPS THEY'RE SO BEAUTIFUL.

britt | averagebibliophile how have i survived without knowing of this book i need it now

Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd) I love this book so much!