C.G. Drews's Reviews > Blackhearts

Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman

bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-2016, retelling, young-adult, pirates

I had nooo idea if I'd enjoy this because I heard it's more of a historical romance than a pirate story. (And I'm like all here for pirate things.) But you know what?! I ACTUALLY QUITE ADORED IT. It does read like a HF romance, but it's witty and the characters are winning and I loooooved the writing. And plus the ending (!!) promises (!!) more pirates (!!!) in the future (!!)

No I don't have an unhealthy obsession with pirates. WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT.

The story is dual narrated by Teach and Anne. Teach is a rich merchant's son and he's being forced into an arranged marriage when he just wants to go to sea and do seaman stuff. Anne is half black but also daughter of a merchant so she doesn't feel like she belongs anywhere and people are horrible to her because of her colour. SHE IS ALSO EPIC and if people boss her around: she whacks 'em. Literally.

Actual Meeting of Anne And Teach:

Anne meets Teach.
Anne mistakes Teach for a heinous felon.
Anne whacks Teach between the legs with a bucket.
Me: "OH LOOK I SPY MY OTP."

They seriously are the BEST otp. Okay, well, um, Teach sometime annoyed me with his supremacy attitude. Like it got better at first??? And then the more he fell for Anne the more he tried t control her, kind of. LIKE IT'S COMPLICATED. I'm so so glad she didn't stand for it!! But I liked Teach better in the first 60%. But this two OMG. The argue so much and they've both got strong personalities. So, so much win. I ship it. I SHIP IT LIKE A PIRATE SHIP, ARRR ME HEARTIES.

So it also is like the "origin" story of Blackbeard. Which is awesome. Like completely freaking aaaaawesome. I did wish Teach had more of an interest in piracy or, like, something in this book. He honestly was a bit too much of an upstanding citizen. (I'M SORRY I EVEN JUST SAID THAT.) So I hope his merging, in future books, into pirate is smooth??? Because, like...#need???? BUT HELLO, JUST MOMENT OF APPRECIATION THAT THIS IS A BLACKBEARD ORIGIN STORY.

I also quite enjoyed the writing! Like it's historical fiction, so do imagine lots of people shouting primly "I SHALL NOT, GOOD SIR" but otherwise, there was some banter and I devoured half the book in one sitting because so so good. Plus I laughed out loud. BECAUSE IT WAS GOOD, YES.

ALL IN ALL: I like this book. I like it a lot. I shall kidnap it at dawn and sail away with it across the seas. Sure it had it's cliche moments, and any trials in the plot did kind of get resolved too easily, and I think Teach needed to sit down before I strangled him with a pirate flag several times. BUT OVERALL I LOVED TEACH AND ANNE WAS EPIC AND THE STORY WAS ENTIRELY WINNING. I want the sequel noooooow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackhearts.

June 29, 2015 – Shelved
June 29, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 27, 2016 – Started Reading
August 27, 2016 –
page 50
13.02% "oh this is GLORIOUS. I am snort/laughing and my dog is disturbed."
August 27, 2016 –
page 200
52.08% "Boy meets girl.\nMisunderstanding ensues.\nGirl thwacks him between the legs with a bucket.\nMe: "OH LOOK. MY OTP.""
August 28, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
August 28, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
August 28, 2016 – Shelved as: retelling
August 28, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 1, 2017 – Shelved as: pirates

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie  Hanna HahahahahahahahahahaHA.

message 2: by Sushi (new)

Sushi LOL glad I'm not alone with the unhealthy pirate obsession. *adding it*

C.G. Drews @Sushi: YAYY MUTUAL PIRATE LOVE!! (Just be aware that there's no real pirating in this one tho. XD)

Emily (theBookishLounge) Oooh I might give this a go then. I haven't really read any piratey books but this sounds epic and there seems to be a lot of banter (well arguing) so quarrelsome banter!!

message 5: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole M. Hewitt I won this one, and after reading this review I'm more excited to read it!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

HEEHEEHEEHEE-NICE REVIEW CAIT.

C.G. Drews @Emily: YES. I love a good quarreling OTP. <3 Although just be warned that there's no pirate action in this one. XD

@Nicole: IT'S SO GOOD I HOPE YOU LIKE.

@Adrian: Thankyou! :D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

yourwelcome! :D

The Captain Excellent review me hearty. I loved the sequel and can't wait to hear what ye think of it!