Maura's Reviews > Ring in the Holidays

Ring in the Holidays by Katie Lane

liked it
bookshelves: annoying-characters, contemporary-romance, rakish-hero, virgin-heroine, series

** spoiler alert ** On the rebound from a cheating boyfriend, 30 year old virgin, Ellie Simpson heads to Vegas with her friend and ends up turning in the V-card with Matthew McPherson, a playboy who she thinks she'll never see again. But then, after her book about using abstinence to establish an emotional connection in a relationship is published, she moves to Denver for a change of scene. Thens he finds out she's moved to the same town as Matthew, who doesn't agree with her theories and wants her back in bed.

On the whole, I liked the story and I liked the extended family. The characters were never boring, that's for sure. I was engaged and kept reading. I definitely appreciate the fact that although Ellie is a virgin, she is not a complete innocent. She loves her vibrator, enjoys her orgasms (and has had them...a rarity in romancelandia), knows quite a lot about sex and isn't a prude.

But in retrospect, I have to question whether I liked either Ellie or Matthew. Both were rather juvenile with each other and often times outright mean. At one point, Matthew tells himself that he liked Ellie just fine, until she spoke. And Ellie comes across as a nagging shrew. These two spend more time sniping at each other and trying to hurt the other than they do coming to appreciate each other. Unfortunately, the time in which they become "friends" is told, rather than shown, so we don't get to see the journey. So they go from kind of hating each other to really liking each other. Also, I'm not sure I fully believe that Ellie, who had these theories about sex and who was willing to wait as long as she did for the right guy would just have sex with a complete stranger just as a reaction to some news about her ex-boyfriend's infidelities. A bit of an over-reaction actually. It was just an okay story, I'd probably want to read the first one and see if those two characters were a little less annoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ring in the Holidays.

Started Reading