Rachel Hartman's Reviews > The Giving Tree

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Nov 22, 2010

did not like it

You know Shel Silverstein is yanking your chain here, right? You do realize that? He's saying to himself (even after death, yes, I believe he is) "If I dress up a toxic relationship dynamic with sweet, sweet sentimentality, will people buy it and keep on buying it?"

Yes, Uncle Shelby, they will!

Shel Silverstein is the Frank Zappa of children's books. He's at his most brilliant when he is poking you in the eye. The one star is not for the book itself, but for the book everyone seems to think this is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giving Tree.

Finished Reading
November 22, 2010 – Shelved

John Egbert Although I didn't give the book such a low rating, I completely see what you mean. The parasitic relationship Silverstein presented is absolutely disgusting, but the way he presented it was so easy to grasp that it was startling.

message 2: by Vinnie (new)

Vinnie Tesla I have a similar view on The Princess Bride.

Rachel Hartman Vinnie wrote: "I have a similar view on The Princess Bride."

Indeed! I've never read that.

message 4: by Vinnie (new)

Vinnie Tesla I think most folks now come to it through the beloved and kinda treacly movie adaptation, which blinds them to the very acerbic book in front of them.

Rachel Hartman I enjoyed the movie, but it never made me want to read the book. You've got me intrigued, now.

message 6: by Vinnie (new)

Vinnie Tesla The adaptation is very faithful, with the one little caveat that it completely inverts all the actual points of the book.