H.'s Reviews > An Uncommon Blue

An Uncommon Blue by R.C. Hancock

I greatly enjoyed this fast-moving, well-written book. It's well worth the read. In fact, I hope to get more of RC's stuff as quickly as possible.

AN UNCOMMON BLUE is about a boy from Telesphore--a place where the people are divided socially, defined by the light in their hand. The sac of some kind of phosphorescent gel is a genetic mutation which cleanses the body of toxins in the environment.

The glow's color has come to represent everything about the person: where and how they live, social status, income, and opportunities. A change to that color by reacting with another person's color can ruin a person's entire life and future. Turning red could send them to the slums.

Bruno Nazaire, a blue, has the brightest prospects until a fugitive boy forces him to react, causing Bruno's prominent blue hand to turn turquoise. Everything he hopes to achieve goes up in smoke at that moment. Instead of whining about it, he makes it his job to hunt down the perpetrator and help the boy. Trouble spreads from there. At every turn Bruno hits a roadblock. He's a fugitive himself. His parents will soon find out he has no future. He can't seem to help the people he needs to help without wrecking his own odds. And worst of all, he's wanted for murder. No one is interested in finding the truth--only in the color of his hand.

I really enjoyed this book. Bruno is a likeable, courageous, even heroic person. He tries to do what's right and make the best of the situations he finds himself in, often sacrificing his own comfort for the good of others. When faced with the chance to wreak revenge on the person who thoughtlessly wrecked his life, Bruno makes a choice I find impressive. I like how unspoiled and un-entitled he is. I expect great things from Bruno Nazaire.

I couldn't put the book down until RC talked about hair loss (the very last words of the author blurb). This says something about the speed with which I hope he pumps out the next sequel. When an author ends things with such a cliffhanger, hopefully he leaves us a long enough rope.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Uncommon Blue.

Started Reading