Jonathan Harbour's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

At one point while reading A Game of Thrones, I felt that it might be the most impressive writing I had ever seen, the most astonishing novel I had ever read. That does hold true but it is overshadowed by the rubbish sequels that GRRM has cranked out without having to work very hard. For example, I highlighted dozens and DOZENS of passages in this novel, but absolutely not a single line in the sequel. That is a huge discrepancy in writing quality.

The first book is worth a read. But be prepared for a fake ending that leads into the next novel, which leads into the next, and so on and so forth, never satisfying the reader. Because of that, I take 2 stars. Who wants to read a story with no ending? This isn't The Walking Dead or a comic book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Jonathan Liked

“When he thought of his daughters, he would have wept gladly, but the tears would not come. Even now, he was a Stark of Winterfell, and his grief and his rage froze hard inside him.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Boys might play with swords, but it took a lord to make a marriage pact, knowing what it meant. They”

June 27, 2015 – Started Reading
July 1, 2015 –
July 5, 2015 –
July 6, 2015 –
July 8, 2015 –
30.0% "Been distracted while on vacation, this is really a page turner. I love it! Some of the most fascinating characters I've ever read. Going to finish it on the beach..."
July 11, 2015 –
July 11, 2015 –
July 13, 2015 –
60.0% "HBO series follows the book very closely. I won't be watching any more until reading the books first for each season. Still enjoying the first book enormously though it's very long."
July 16, 2015 –