Joey Woolfardis's Reviews > Little Women

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

did not like it
bookshelves: 2016, bookshelf, bloody-cack, ce19, bairns, feminine, septic

Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Little Women was relatively written well in the grammatically correct sense, but I found it to be a very slow and dull read. It is definitely of its time and even though there are small points of seeing the necessity of having strong, independent female characters, inevitably they always end up having to rely on men or indeed other women in order to survive within the narrative.

There was no clear and concise plot, just a bunch of little stories that all fit together in a relevant manner, but altogether it was pretty much a huge heap of Nothing Happened. I liked the differences of the sisters, but found their outward appearance-differences rather far-fetched and they didn't seem to look like sisters in my mind, nor did their personalities really shine through as being particularly familial. In fact, it felt more as if they were just friends and not sisters and I didn't see any of the sibling love as anything but friendship. I also didn't like how they were very different to each other, as if none of them shared even one particular trait, or indeed any similar hobby or desire.

I think it'd be fair to say that this is a definite children's tale, though perhaps quite the preachy kind. I disagree it's one you can only really enjoy if you read it as a child, however, because there are plenty of children's books that are just as enjoyable for the first time as an adult. Little Women had never actually struck me as a book to ever be read anyway, and it was mostly just a get-it-out-of-the-way kind of read.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women.

June 27, 2015 – Shelved
January 19, 2016 – Started Reading
January 19, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 22, 2018 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura "The one thing I'm not going to do is apologise for not liking this. I hold no truck with that: stop apologising for having an opinion that is different to the majority."

Amen to that. Great review.

Jessica I had to read Little Women for uni. I actually liked it a great deal (at first), though I wasn't very happy with how it ended for any of the sisters. All the marriages were terrible and Beth's dying made me cry.

John Burns I don't think it's fair to describe the plot as "nothing happened". By the end of the novel 3 of the sisters are married, one is dead and one is a professional writer. The stories that take them from the start to those conclusions may not be hugely exciting or original but i think they are engaging and believable.

Fabian yeah, i like this novel as well. the film's awesome too

John Burns Yeah the film is pretty good.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

True, it is really boring. I gave it three stars, not sure now if it should have been only two