Belinda Kroll's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Nov 22, 2010

bookshelves: quirky, young-adult, snarky

This book had me chuckling on the first page. I follow John Green's Vlog Brothers, and looked forward to that intellectual snark that keeps me coming back for more, and I was not disappointed. First, let's address the main character's name: Colin Singleton.

Any computer programmer or mathematician would recognize the joke at once: here is a young man who is desperate to be known, to be recognized as unique and special. A singleton, in object-oriented programming, is a one-of-a-kind object. You can have a class of an object, say, Car, and then have different objects that belong to the class of Car: Honda, Ford, Toyota, etc. A singleton has only one element in its class or set: it is unique, special. Nerd!Belinda was ridiculously happy to see the intellectual snark and jokes went this far.

Read this book for a contemporary satire on the road trip story, while at the same time feeling heartfelt and snarky, as we all were in high school. A quick read, followed with an appendix where Green asked his mathematics professor friend to go through the math of Colin's Underlying Katherine Predictability. With graphs and everything. I've never been so happy to see a parabola in my life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.

November 22, 2010 – Started Reading
November 22, 2010 – Shelved
November 22, 2010 –
page 80
34.93% "I am LOVING this book so far. I have a huge crush on John Green as it is from his Vlog Brothers youtube videos. It's only gotten worse since I began reading this book because he combines snark, math, and romance in a way that also pokes fun at the road-trip-discovery-of-self stories."
November 25, 2010 –