Jonathan's Reviews > The Cracked Spine

The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton

bookshelves: netgalley, cozy-mysteries, cruisin-through-the-cozies-2016, for-review, mystery, read-03-16

*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from Minotaur and Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions stated in this review are entirely my own.*

A new series from a well established author, The Cracked Spine was a wonderful series debut filled with suspense, mystery, and laugh out loud moments.

The entire premise of this story is entertaining: getting fired ad then answering an add to go work in a bookstore halfway around the world? That may sound crazy to some, but that’s exactly what the MC, Delaney did.

Delaney was an excellent MC, she was strong when it called for it, but she also showed she was human. I loved the fact that she couldn’t understand everything that was being said when she first arrived because of the Scottish brogue. I think that often we forget that the US and UK both speak english, but some words and phrases are extremely different from one another. I also loved the rest of the characters, Hamlet, Rosie, Edwin, Elias, and Aggie. They were all wonderful and there are some questions the author plants about them in the book that are never answered. It really makes me want to read the next book!

The mystery was very good. The ending took a turn that I honestly did not see coming. Honestly, the only bad thing about this book was the fact that it was slow. I felt that the entire book was simply hard to get into. It may have been suffering from first book syndrome, or it may have been my mood, however it was terribly slow at points and it couldn’t keep my attention at others.

Overall this was a wonderful book. I honestly think that I think it was slow simply because of the mood I was in when I read this over the last week. However, because it was slow I deducted a star. On to the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cracked Spine.

June 26, 2015 – Shelved