Kelli's Reviews > Bath Tangle

Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer

Nov 21, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction

This is one of the more intense stories of Heyer's than I've read before. Usually, with Heyer, I savor the story but Bath Tangle is literally a tangle of characters in complicated situations, where you are not going to be easy until the characters (particularly the two main characters) are placed right where they belong. I found myself ripping thru the pages to figure out what was to be done with each blanched engagement. And how Heyer was going to masterfully fix Lady Serena and Rotherham's situation, as well as the other two they become engaged with.
She kept me agonizing over the story, until practically the last 2 or 3 chapters. I have to admit, that during the middle of reading I doubted whether the bow at the end of the story would truly be satisfactory. Especially knowing the way Rotherham gets engaged to Emily. If their is one huge thing I don't love about this story, its that. Plus I hate that Rotherham and Serena don't have more scenes together.

However, the last few chapters of the book are excellent and the bow at the end makes all the sweat and grit of the story very worth it. Which is another reason why I give this book 5 stars without doubt.

If you are truly a fan of Heyer's, 'Bath Tangle' is definitely a must read. It is up there as a favorite. The story is so detailed and you care, almost heartbreakingly so, for Rotherham and Serena. No question, the best scenes are when they are together. Heyer is at her best during their quarrels and banters. It is astounding in how she writes the famous 'Heyer' hero and heroine speeches. This book made me smile and I think that is a testament to a really great story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bath Tangle.

Kelly Lady Serena and Rotherham are some of my favorite characters of Heyer's. I also love Frederica, Arabella, Kitten.....;)