Jamie Collins's Reviews > The Ape Who Guards the Balance

The Ape Who Guards the Balance by Elizabeth Peters

Nov 21, 2010

bookshelves: historical-mystery, historical-fiction
Read from November 29 to December 01, 2010

Very entertaining. I'm enjoying the later books in this series even more than the earlier ones. I am entirely amused by the teen-aged Ramses, now sometimes addressed as "Mr. Emerson" and sometimes dressed in the height of fashion for an Edwardian English gentleman. But mostly he is in Egypt with his parents and his adopted sister and cousin, excavating ancient Egyptian tombs and investigating murders.

Amelia Peabody is still deservedly the star of the story, but I think the scenes that are written from the point of view of the "children" add a nice dimension. I enjoy the way Ramses thoroughly understands his parents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ape Who Guards the Balance.

11/29/2010 page 10
3.0% "Amelia Peabody, the suffragette." 1 comment
12/01/2010 page 174
46.0% ""I had been thinking that the golden palaces of heaven could be no more beautiful than the morning light on the cliffs of Thebes, and that my definition of Paradise would be a continuation of the life I loved with those I loved beside me.""
12/02/2010 page 376
100.0% ""You are in a scandalous and delightful state of undress, Peabody. What happened to your clothes?"" 1 comment