Shree's Reviews > The Activist and The Capitalist: An Unlikely Love Story

The Activist and The Capitalist by Vibha Batra

Note : A Review of this book is up at my blog - Book And Ink

Yet another story based on a school of thought that has been around like forever – opposites attract. So, what made me give an 8 score for this book? Read on, have patience!

Jai, our male protagonist, the hot and the hot shot capitalist falls for the very enemy, the smart and fireband activist Anusha. Jai, is bent of demolishing the Rasa Vihar (a heritage building) in Chennai (where the story is set) while Anusha is battling to save it. They meet in a protest lead by Anusha after a gap of six months after their initial encounter when Anusha left Jai high and dry post a random drunk make out session. Sparks fly instantaneously and Jai starts wooing her. They embark on a roller coaster journey called ‘love’ wherein they battle demons deep within them which ultimately brings them together every time they stray apart.

Both the characters stick to the very image that the title conveys. Jai, is a typical capitalist who believes in infrastructure development and things like that. That doesn’t prevent him from being absolutely adorable when around the love of his life –Anusha. The part of story where Jai helps Anusha with cupcake stall is an absolute delight to read. Chivalry is one quality which I absolutely admire. Jai’s character floored me with his chivalry. The story line was well thought upon. It was logical and realistic, making the book an absolutely delightful read. Though the writer employed the age old concept of opposites attract as I stated before, she has present it in such a way that the story doesn’t get monotonous. Needless to say that the writing was perfect and sprinkled with a lot of humor making the book a delightful read.

However, I felt there were a lot of little things that the writer – Vibha Batra lost focus on. Jai and Anusha are culturally different people. Though she has ‘stated’ that fact, she hasn’t actually used it to make a difference. It remained just a fact instead of supporting the story. Also, given that this book set against heritage and cultural theme, I felt the writer could have done a wee bit more justice to Chennai’s heritage. Of course, being my true-blue Chennaite, no amount of beautiful description of my city can satisfy me!

MY SAY: A witty, light and p_erfect read for romance lovers.

RATING:

PLOT : 8/10

NARRATION: 8/10

CHARACTERISATION: 8/10

BOREDOM QUOTIENT: 2/10 (the lower the better)

OVERALL RATING: 8/10
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Activist and The Capitalist.

Started Reading
June 26, 2015 – Shelved
June 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Vibha Batra Thaaaanks so much, Shree, for the wonderful review!

Shree Vibha wrote: "Thaaaanks so much, Shree, for the wonderful review!"
Welcome :-) I enjoyed reading the book!