Rusty's Reviews > Catherine, Called Birdy

U 50x66
Nov 21, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction, children-ya
Read from March 15 to 16, 2011

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushan (Newbery Award winner): There must be something of a child in me to so enjoy this book written in the form of Catherine's diary or maybe it's the wit and talent of the author who makes this young woman sound lke children I know and love. I chuckle again and again as I read about Catherine's efforts to avoid betrothal! Cushman write about this period for young girls so that they can in some way understand how life must have been for them. Cathernine, the girl presented in this novel is a mischievous tomboy in every sense of the word. A worthwhile read indeed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catherine, Called Birdy.

03/15/2011 page 50
22.0% "This my award winner for the month (Newberry Award). So funny - let me share some lines that made me chuckle when Catherine is to meet a rich man her father thinks she should marry: "I rubbed my nose until it shone red, blacked out my front teeth with soot, and dressed my hair with mouse bones I found under the rushes in the hall." She smiles with her blackened teeth throughout dinner and he leaves unbetrothed."