Kristen's Reviews > Burning Glass

Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie

bookshelves: 2016, harper, harper-winter-2016, arc-wishlist, e-arc

This and other reviews are on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

My Thoughts:
I really loved that Purdie created a character with a power she was unable to control. The use of empathy and how feeling other’s emotions would make someone feel was mesmerizing as well as executed to perfection. Sonya can’t distinguish at times what she’s feeling versus what others around her are feeling…imagine not knowing if the passionate view you felt was really yours? It is an incredibly interesting idea and I thought it was such an amazing element to this book.

Burning Glass didn’t hesitate to throw the reader into the intensity of Sonya’s life and power. The first few chapters were insanely gripping for me and I was hooked. The rest of the novel’s pacing does slow down some as we focus on political intrigue and the characters. The story centers on Sonya taking the role she was believed to be ‘born to’, the Auraseer. She will work for the emperor and seek out if any around him means him harm.

For those curious there was a love triangle-but in this book it really didn’t bother me. I think it’s clear early on who Sonya prefers but the manner of her gift/curse to feel other’s emotions would lead her to confusion. I felt it all played out rather realistically assuming someone had her ability. I felt chemistry with both fellows but preferred one over the other easily.

All of the characters I felt were well developed and I loved seeing alternate sides to each. Sonya’s closest friend in her new role, Pia, was a breath of sunshine and I thought her interactions with Sonya were so genuine and sweet.

For me, the best part of this book was Sonya and her struggles with her ability. She veered on insanity more than once and those scenes were written so well and had such a dark nature to them…really brilliant. I loved the fact that as I was reading I couldn’t discern what Sonya was feeling and what she was mirroring from those around her.

Final Thoughts:
Burning Glass was an emotional read that used its slower pacing to introduce the reader to the characters and political intrigue and the main characters mental and emotional instability. Don’t expect a ton of action in the majority of the book but go into reading this looking to know Sonya and question what having her abilities would be like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Glass.

June 25, 2015 – Shelved
August 27, 2015 – Shelved as: harper-winter-2016
August 27, 2015 – Shelved as: e-arc
August 27, 2015 – Shelved as: arc-wishlist
August 27, 2015 –
3.0% "Wow!! This is intense!"
24.0% "I'm hooked."