Naithin's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Nov 20, 2010

bookshelves: first-person, epic, fantasy, flawed-characters, hero-s-journey, favorites
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from March 11 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

Name of the Wind -- Patrick Rothfuss' first outing -- was good. It didn't quite live up to the hype, which makes me pleased I didn't see too much of the hype until after reading the book for myself for it would have served no purpose but to make me disappointed had I seen it before hand.

Wise Man's Fear, on the other hand, cannot by hyped enough. I couldn't put this down. Just. Couldn't. This is the type of book that will lead you to looking at how you've rated every book before and wonder why. I would happily give this a 6/5. Since I can't I may need to look long and hard at how I've rated most everything that has come before.

I love the characters. They're well written and expressive, even though they're all filtered through the perspective of Kvothe, which is no mean feat. I knew this book had grabbed me and made me feel something when, early on, there is a touching moment with Kvothe and Auri that had me thinking, 'Auri is lovely. . . . Something bad is going to happen to her.'

That thought on it's own is not too uncommon. There are several books that can evoke that. The difference was that the thought didn't end there. No, you see, it was followed up with the thought, 'Christ, I hope not'.

I refuse to spoil whether or not anything happens to her; I wouldn't want to rob anyone of the same anxiety I felt throughout the book, just waiting for the other shoe to drop, or not.

Kvothe spends some time at the University still; and honestly these were some of my favourite parts. Saying goodbye to everyone there was difficult. This is not to say that the adventures away from Imre and the University were not interesting -- they were! -- it was just that I worried the entire time that Kvothe wouldn't go back.

Yet this was balanced against the desire to see the story move on, to see more of how the legend of Kvothe came to be, and I wasn't disappointed in this respect either, really.

I will say however, that while more happened in this book than the first, story wise, there is still so, so, so very much yet to be revealed in the third and final book. I honestly do feel the wait for this book was worth it if it resulted in what can only be described as a masterwork.

But... Please Mr Rothfuss, I think I couldn't quite take another equally long wait for the third! I just can't!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

Quotes Naithin Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“How about this?' Simmon asked me. "Which is worse, stealing a pie or killing Ambrose?"
I gave it a moment's hard thought. "A meat pie, or a fruit pie?”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Patrick Rothfuss
“It was only then I realized I didn't know the name of Elodin's class. I leafed through the ledger until I spotted Elodin's name, then ran my finger back to where the title of the class was listed in fresh dark ink: "Introduction to Not Being a Stupid Jackass."
I sighed and penned my name in the single blank space beneath.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

03/14/2011
60.0% "Cripes. I liked Name of the Wind a lot, but didn't feel it quite lived up to the hype it received. Wise Man's Fear can be done no justice by any level of hype. I thought so even early on, barely 20% of the way through, and mind reminds unchanged now. If this quality is what the wait brought us, it was worth it."