Jess's Reviews > A Thousand Pieces of You

A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

Originally posted on my blog

I was hesitant about starting this book. The cover is so gorgeous, but I've learned enough times that sometimes the story isn't as lovely as the packaging.

It has such an interesting, promising premise: a murder mystery that spans not just our universe, but the multiverse--a universe for every single decision made. An infinite world of infinite possibilities. Marguerite Cain is on a mission to catch her father's killer, even if it means turning herself into "atomic soup".

Marguerite, I found, is a boring character. Even when she inhabits the bodies of the Marguerites from other worlds, she has no personality. She's just a blank slate hidden inside other blank slates.

All the plot is shoved aside to make room for a ridiculous romance that literally comes from out of nowhere. First Marguerite is so sure that this guy killed her father, and the next moment, she's pining away about his body heat and their almost touching. It made me want to gag, it was so sappy.
The discussion of fate--of things that happen in all universes, such as the love between two people--just makes the romance even more gag-worthy. It's just so forced.
It's such a shame about the lack of plot because it was such a unique concept that could have been fantastic under the right circumstances.

I found myself constantly bored by the story. Even when she's a grand duchess in Russia, the story manages to fall flat in lieu of the romance. All danger and consequences are thrown away for the sake of the romance. There was nothing at stake except for this true love.
In the end, I had to DNF this book. The contradictory nature of the multiuniverses verses fate just left me too frustrated to go on.
That's not to say it's bad. I was just expecting more sci-fi than romance. If you're in the mood for star-crossed lovers, then this is probably for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Pieces of You.

June 25, 2015 – Started Reading
June 25, 2015 – Shelved
July 2, 2015 –
page 153
42.5% "The romance in this makes me want to gag."
page 248
68.89% "This book is so contradictory. You can't go around saying that every universe is different in some way, then add on "...except for our love". Our main character is so thick-headed she refuses to believe in a universe where she and her love aren't together. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH\n \n I'm so close to DNFing."
page 262
72.78% "I can't finish this. I don't have the strength to go on."
page 262
72.78% "I can't finish this. I don't have the strength to go on."
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: didn-t-finish
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: sci-fi
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: what-the-hell-happened
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) My feelings too. However, once removed from Paul, it is tolerable for me.