Nova Zaiden's Reviews > Truthwitch

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard

bookshelves: pretty-good, reviewed, arc, droolworthy-guys, read-in-2015

Want more reviews, discussions and fun-filled posts? Check out my book blog, Out of Time.

*4.5

2015 has been a year full of adventure - Truthwitch was one of those adventures. - Nova @ Out of Time

I'm not sure how I feel about high fantasy anymore. I'd always thought that it wasn't for me but this year [and this book] proved that high fantasy can be for me. When it comes to Truthwitch, I was really happy with the way I felt after reading. It was different, it was interesting and I was completely invested in the story and its characters.

My favorite element of Truthwitch is the friendship. It's sisters before misters in this one because while the romance was cute, it wasn't that big of a deal. It was enough to make my fangirl heart beat but not enough to overpower the stakes of the story or how important it is to have a good relationship with your threadsister. This is like those gifs where you feel like screaming, 'friendship goals' because Safi and Iseult were definitely friendship goals.

The actual plot went from very interesting to a little bit of a lull back to high thrill again. The parts that felt a little boring were mostly when it was on the boat. I mean, in the middle of the sea, it's bound to get a little calmer, right? However, before I could even complain, things went back to interesting shortly after so I really liked that switch.

The story itself is kind of meh. It wasn't very complicated and that has both its pros and cons. Pros because I followed this very easily and it leaves room for even more twists in the future but cons because there were hints at something very complex but it would be in the next book since it was only revealed close to the end. Truthwitch 2, I need you noooow.

However, the characters and the world. Yes, I'm grouping them together because they were equal. That means fantastic on both fronts. The world was so interesting and I love how there are so many different kinds of witches. It was hard to keep track of after a while but it reminded me kind of like X-Men, where the amount of powers are left up to the imagination.

Merek was wonderful. I loved every scene with him. He was entertaining to read and I really liked his personality. I even like Aeduan, even though he wasn't good because he wasn't one dimensional. I hate it when authors try to make the anti-hero have a tragic past but this didn't happen and some events showed that while he's a villain, Aeduan still had some form of humanity.

I don't know about Safi because I was a little confused with her power. She's a lie detector? In the book, it's almost like she's a golden snitch and everyone wants her but I didn't really see it. In comparison to Iseult's power, I felt like Safi was a little useless. I hope to better understand her power in the second book. That aspect just confused me. I did love her personality though. She's impulsive and emotional, in stark contrast to Iseult who's more calm and neutral. [Basically, Safi is Starfire and Iseult is Raven for my lovely Teen Titans fans out there.]

While I can't say I completely raved about it, for my first Susan Dennard book, this was wonderful! I'm definitely going to keep an open mind about her other books now - especially when it comes time for Truthwitch #2!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truthwitch.

June 24, 2015 – Started Reading
June 24, 2015 – Shelved
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: pretty-good
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: arc
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: droolworthy-guys
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
July 5, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) Gahh jealous T.T

Nova Zaiden Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) wrote: "Gahh jealous T.T"

Hope you get a copy soon [or that the release date comes sooner hehe]