Savvy 's Reviews > The High Window

The High Window by Raymond Chandler

1194018
Nov 20, 2010

Read from November 20 to 27, 2010

The quintessential urban private eye!...Philip Marlowe!

Raymond Chandler is a writer's writer... His prose sparkles, his narrative intrigues, and he's truly the master of hard boiled crime noir!

This was my first peek into the landscape of my native Los Angeles at a time (before I was born) when the air was clear and the roads were lined with a lushness long laid to rest.
Hollywood was smoldering with sexy fresh talent and glamour and deceit were de rigueur.

These were the novels that I saw at my Grandpa and Uncle's homes. They were part of the early glamour days of native Angelinos!

I've read that Chandler is one of the most imitated writers in literary history!

He possessed an unparalleled power as the witty wordsmith of crime novels....the descriptive prose is stunning!..."A check girl in peach-bloom Chinese pajamas came over to take my hat and disapprove of my clothes. She had eyes like strange sins." ...another chapter.... "From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away."

I had to laugh out loud at some of the magnificent metaphors and comical characters!
If I ever needed a P.I., Philip Marlowe would be my top pick! He calls it as he sees it and stings with quick sarcastic jabs,a keen eye, and penetrating powers of observation!

Read it...and step back in time when cynicism and corruption reigned supreme in the young West!

Chandler speaks a language that builds a bridge to the present.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Window.

07/04 marked as: read

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken I went through my Chandler phase. What a treat THAT phase was (it was either followed or preceded by a Dashiell Hammett phase -- I forget which).

Becky Oh thank you Suz for your review! I also just finished the book a day or so ago and really enjoyed it. I read a bunch of Chandler years ago but not this one.

Savvy Bekah! Glad to see you here!
And thanks for your nice comment!
Suz

message 4: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Bekah! Here! Hi there!!
Thanks for the review Suz. I'm putting it on my list for buying right away. Should be nice to curl up with it for Christmas and remember the Los Angeles that I too never knew. Maybe it never was?