Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Beat

Beat by Vi Keeland

it was ok
bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick

Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

***This review contains spoilers so be warned.****

I want to preface this review by stating this book is a perfect example of no matter how big of fan-girls we may be at Guilty Pleasures, that occasionally one of our favorite authors puts out a book that just doesn't work for us. It doesn't mean we give up on the author, it just means this one wasn't a good fit. These are the hardest reviews to post, but we owe it to everyone to provide honest reviews. ~ DiDi

(view spoiler)

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beat.

Started Reading
June 24, 2015 – Shelved
June 24, 2015 – Shelved as: guiltypleasures-slick
June 24, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Lady E (new)

Lady E Thanks for the honesty, was thinking of giving this a try, but with my luck lately I truly appreciate your review.

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews Thank you for leaving a comment. I was in the minority with my feelings on this one, but I had to be honest on how I felt. It's so hard posting these kind of reviews.

message 3: by Lady E (new)

Lady E Guilty Pleasures wrote: "Thank you for leaving a comment. I was in the minority with my feelings on this one, but I had to be honest on how I felt. It's so hard posting these kind of reviews."

No problem. I imagine that it is, which is why I appreciate the honesty even more. I've run into a maze of books recently that many have LOVED, and I'm in the minority of not feeling the same way. Good for you, always speak YOUR truth:)

Romance Schmomance (Malia) I just finished Beat, last night and I'm on the exact same page as you. Cheating is my #1 big NO in any book and that tends to kill the book for me. And I love Vi Keelands previous books especially her MMA series. Ugh ..

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews Malia wrote: "I just finished Beat, last night and I'm on the exact same page as you. Cheating is my #1 big NO in any book and that tends to kill the book for me. And I love Vi Keelands previous books especially..."

We LOVED her MMA series and Throb, it really killed us to see all the cheating in this one. Most of the GPBR reviewers do not want cheating in their romance books. Had we known there was cheating we wouldn't have signed up for an ARC.

message 6: by Will2pear95 (new)

Will2pear95 Thanks for your honest review. I'm not a fan of cheating at all (been cheated on is not fun or romantic). I find it funny that readers of romance books seem to be okay with the h cheating on her S/O but are ready to hang the H when he's the cheater in the story.

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews Will2pear95 wrote: "Thanks for your honest review. I'm not a fan of cheating at all (been cheated on is not fun or romantic). I find it funny that readers of romance books seem to be okay with the h cheating on her S/..."

We are 100% in agreement. It baffles my mind. If I buy a book and am blindsided with cheating in it I will DNF and immediately return for a refund. This is really the only way I will return a book for a refund. UNLESS the author kills off the hero/heroine of the book or of previous book in a series. Both of these types of books are women's fiction in my mind, not romance.

Romance Schmomance (Malia) Have you read Cocky Bastard yet? Or planning on it? I just finished for the blog tour and well, a little disappointment there too.

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews Malia wrote: "Have you read Cocky Bastard yet? Or planning on it? I just finished for the blog tour and well, a little disappointment there too."

I have not read it yet, but one of our reviewers has and felt the same as you.

message 10: by K. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K. Ryner This is exactly what I thought about this book. Good to see I'm not alone.