Geeta Nair's Reviews > Warrior

Warrior by Olivier Lafont

F 50x66

MY VIEWS ON THE BOOK

Highs

The Cover : The Warrior with determined yes, unruly hair, gripping a sword is sure to appeal to the reader. The background though light, gives us an idea of the setting i.e troubled times ushering in destruction.

Story-line: Interesting, intriguing and engaging.

A high octane action –packed fantasy novel with Indian mythology at its core ‘Warrior’ is a classic tale wherein the good pitted is against evil, a brother pitted against another. Spanning over a period of 3 days this story takes us across an India witnessing unnatural cataclysms.There is love; romance, valor, deceit, treachery.The story also introduces us to supernatural elements, magical creatures, imaginary worlds and a lot more that add spice to a plot which if not handled well could have turned out be bland and ordinary.

The imagery is excellent. The events associated with Saam's heroics and his journey along-with his companions in search of a solution to the End of Days situation facing earth unfold easily before one’s eyes making one wish he/she could be there to witness the unfolding of the events.

If seen from the present day perspective the story is easily relatable in some ways. Though we may not be witnessing the End of Days scenario, yet the way mankind is moving forward it may not be long before there is total mayhem on earth. India which once boasted of strong family ties is now standing mute witness to the rapid disintegration of family bonds. Love has given way to greed. Ara the half-brother of Saam is a symbol of greed and deceit.

Moving on to the nations on earth, each one has its fair measure of traitors and patriots. While Laalbaal symbolizes one species, Fazal the eccentric professor stands for the other.

The story has its fair share of twists and turns thus making it anything but boring.

Though a fantasy ‘Warrior’ is I must say, much more. It is a wake-up call to the human race, a knock on one’s conscience; it is a mirror to the destruction that awaits us if not rectified on time.

Characterization : The characters are well etched with all their imperfections. The characters of Saam, Ara and Maya need special mention. The author has portrayed them brilliantly. One can easily relate to them and their thoughts and actions.

Language: Language is crisp and lucid.

The climax: Interesting and unexpected.

Lows

Pace: Slow at first making me put down the book several times. But once Saam's true identity, powers and mission became clear the story picked up momentum. From there on the drama began.

WRAPPING UP

'Warrior' is a page turner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warrior.

Started Reading