Andrew Smith's Reviews > The Silver Linings Playbook

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

liked it
bookshelves: y-a

Pat Peoples has suffered a mental breakdown following a traumatic event in his life. He’s been institutionalised for some time but is about to go home. He dreams of being reunited with his estranged wife, Nikki, and in the meantime he’s working out (endlessly) and following his favourite American Football team, the Philadelphia Eagles.

The story has already been made into a successful film it's therefore not surprising that the book very much has a film script feel. I suppose it’s also an ok holiday read, which is a good thing as I got through the whole thing whilst lounging on a beach bed. It's not very long, not particularly taxing but it is reasonably entertaining. As time progresses we watch Pat struggle with his condition, become re-united with family and friends and meet a woman who is similarly recovering from a traumatic event.

It's pretty clear where this one is headed from early on and despite a number of small surprises along the way it does travel the predicted path. I admire the attempt to deal with the difficult subject of mental illness but my main grumble is that the message seemed a little over-earnest for my tastes – e.g. 'try to be kind not right’ was the much repeated mantra Pat had adopted from his therapist. Also the attempt to follow a successful season for the Eagles along side the main narrative felt a little overdone (I lost count of the number of times the team chant was recited!)

Probably more a 2.5 than a 3 – but after a good day on the beach I'm feeling generous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Linings Playbook.

June 23, 2015 – Started Reading
June 23, 2015 – Shelved
June 29, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 23, 2017 – Shelved as: y-a

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ So have you seen the film? I loved it, and I don't do romcoms. I've seen a few other reviewers who mentioned they enjoyed the film much more than the book.

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ I really liked the film a lot too and I also am not very big on romcoms. I liked the way it portrayed mental illness. I thought it was quite well done.

Andrew Smith No, I haven't seen the film. But I can imagine it translates very well to the screen, Dan. It reads like a film - it's got the set pieces and it's easy to visualise. One of the problems it has as a book is that (the two lead characters apart) the players seem under developed and one dimensional.

message 4: by Andrew (last edited Jul 01, 2015 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrew Smith I might seek out the film, Jess. I'll be interested to compare it.

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ I think the acting was very good, and Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are really good and believable together. It's definitely worth a watch.

Andrew Smith Thanks for the input, Jess - I'll give it a go.

message 7: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Well, allow some time for the bad taste of the book to lessen, and give it a go. Highly recommend it. Currently 92% on rottentomatoes with 230 votes. I think I've already seen it 2 or 3 times.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I thought the film and the book were soooooo different. It's one of those times I wished I would have watched the movie first because I think I would have loved it, but I couldn't get past all of the screaming of "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!" : (

message 9: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ No, you watched it wrong!

Andrew Smith Interesting thoughts from both if you. I probably should allow some time before trying it.

message 11: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Jul 01, 2015 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Dᴀɴ 2.☢ wrote: "No, you watched it wrong!"

Probably. I'm also pretty sure I read the book wrong.

message 12: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ As per usual Kelly. :)

Kristin Personally, I preferred the movie as well. It filled in gaps the that the book didn't

Andrew Smith Kristin - strange that isn't it, it's normally the other way around.

Kristin Yes! I rarely like films better.

Andrew Smith But it is interesting to see a reversal, for once.