MisterFweem's Reviews > Wintersmith

Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett

Nov 19, 2010

Read from November 19 to 23, 2010

Any book featuring the Nac Mac Feegle is a win in my world.

But this, perhaps, is the bit I enjoy most from the book, and that's some of the hooptedoodle that Pratchett includes that's really not pertinent to the story, but oh-so-pertinent to developing his characters, which is a trait I admire in him:

Marjory J. Boddice had got some things laughably wrong. Girls on the Chalk didn't often run away from a young man who was rich enough to own his own horse -- or not for long and not without giving him a chance to catch up. And Megs, the heroine of the book, clearly didn't know a thing about farming. No young man would be interested in a woman who couldn't dose a cow or carry a piglet. What kind of help would she be around the place? Standing around with lips like cherries wouldn't get the cows milked or the sheep sheared!

And that was another thing. Did Marjory J. Boddice know anything about sheep? This was a sheep farm in the summertime, wasn't it? So when did they shear the sheep? The second most important occasion in a sheep farm's year and it wasn't worth mentioning?

Of course, they might have a breed like Habbakuk Polls or Lowland Cobbleworths that didn't need shearing, but these were rare and any sensible author would surely have mentioned it.

And these scene in chapter five, where Megs left the sheep to fend for themselves while she went gathering nuts with Roger . . . well, how stupid was that? They could have wandered anywhere, and they were really stupid to think they'd find nuts in June.

Thanks, Tiff. I needed that writerly/readerly laugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintersmith.