Leigh's Reviews > The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven: A Remarkable Account of Miracles, Angels, and Life beyond This World

The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven by Kevin Malarkey

Nov 19, 2010

it was ok

I was excited to read this book because of the premise of the true story of a child going to heaven and returning to tell of his experiences. Well, Alex tells very little about that in the book. Mostly it is a detailed account of all the things that were done for Alex and his family post-accident, prayers prayed and freebies given. The author actually lost me when he opens a chapter saying that anyone can be a "NICE" person and speak all the "right" things so that people think he is a Christian, but none of the saints were ever described as "nice", and that their family was only surrounded by true Christians during their ordeal. It struck me as judgmental and hypocritical that he would even put that in the book. Was he saying that the people who didn't sit at the hospital with his family or pray for them or volunteer their time or effort or buy things for their family were not true Christians? It also bothered me that the author and his family, after taking months of time and food and money and prayers and freebies from the people of the church where they attended when the accident happened and Alex was in the hospital, would leave that church and join another later on, just because the second church's pastor and Alex became friends.

I guess I just didn't like the author...he came across as rather smarmy to me. And the title completely misrepresents what the book is truly about, IMO.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven.

November 19, 2010 – Started Reading
November 19, 2010 – Shelved
November 22, 2010 – Finished Reading

Barb D I agree. This book was more about the power of prayer than anything else.

Nancy Exactly what I thought. I bought this ebook on accident - meant to buy Todd Burpo's book. The tone of the book was so misleading- really gave the impression that Alex would be completely healed in the end. Not even close. I admire their strong faith, though, and wish them well.

Meranda I actually had to stop reading the book when they switched churches. That small detail of this story didn't fit right with my heart.

Threasa Jenkins I totally agree with you about the dad. I think the book is more to preach and assuage his guilt as cauing the accident. I wanted to hear Alex, not dad. I feel so sorry for what happened to this family, but there's just something about the father that I just don't like.

message 5: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole I too, was stopped in my tracks when reading they switched churches. Took me off guard. While I wish the family well, and the book was a quick read... it was not what I had expected. I don't know that I would recommend

message 6: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole I just came across this article.

message 7: by Liam (new)

Liam well, turns out he's like Harry. "The Boy Who Lived" becomes "The Boy Who Lied," just like in Order of the Phoenix.