R.p.l. Johnson's Reviews > The Fold

The Fold by Peter Clines

You don’t have to have read Peter Clines previous book “14” to enjoy this novel, the Fold is a standalone story in itself, but if you have read 14 you will soon realise that these stories are set in the same universe. However, the Fold is a more polished story than Clines’ first book.

I thought that 14 suffered from inconsistent pacing, slow for the first three quarters and then straight into top gear for the final chapters. The Fold has a more gradual build-up and leads the reader along with an interesting story of strange goings-on at a high tech research facility.

Clines’ style is clean and easy going: nothing outstanding, but also nothing to jar you out of the story. His characters are fairly innocuous but they play their parts well enough. The protagonist, Mike, is a bit different in that he has a perfect, photographic memory and the ability to process massive amounts of information – speed-reading hundreds of documents and even going so far as to watch movies in perfect fidelity in his mind and overlay multiple memories to look for discrepancies like a CSI investigator looking for clues in video footage. These abilities are a bit over-used. They are practically a super-power and I felt they were a bit of a cheat. The story might have had more tension with a less super-powered protagonist.

Without giving too much away, the experiment in folding space-time goes pretty much the way all these things go in books and movies and by the end our heroes are fighting for their lives and the survival of the planet.

It was a solid, enjoyable read. Perhaps my only criticism (apart from the super-powered protagonist) was that the mystery side of the story wasn’t quite clever enough. With a dimension spanning door and a hero with perfect recollection, I thought that the author could have built a more intricate puzzle in the first part of the story. He could even have forced some self-doubt into his hero as his memories start to veer away from observable reality. But the author chose to take a less cerebral path.

Still, I enjoyed it. I’d give it 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fold.

Finished Reading