Alyssa Moore's Reviews > Song of Solomon

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

U 50x66
Jun 21, 2015

Wow, I really thought I read this novel in college, but now I realize I started, but never finished. Stream of consciousness, incestual relations, and illusive words made this difficult for someone on a mission to finish a class project. Back then there was no Kindle with a built in dictionary, either. On my second go round of "Song of Solomon" I used by newfound "Beloved" strategy for completing a Toni Morison novel; just keep reading, it will all make sense in the end. And, it did. Besides all the yuck moments that singed by sense of sensibility, I can't help but marvel at the way Ms. Morrison strings a story together.

Keep a dictionary close by, though, Toni is the master of fortuitous words like "amanuensis" on page 187. It is mind-boggling how she finds these words and it makes the puzzle of reading, and completing, one of her masterpieces even more exhilarating. I'm still reeling from all the metaphors, poetry, sorcery and historical allusions packed into this novel.

Love me some Toni Morrison, now I need to relax the brain for a moment before I go back and read "JAZZ." I can't wait to read "Song of Solomon" five years from now to see what new treasures I will discover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Solomon.

June 21, 2015 – Started Reading
June 21, 2015 – Shelved
June 21, 2015 –
page 10
2.93% "Literary fiction is completely different from casual fiction; they are like puzzles that need to be solved with dictionaries, encyclopedias and etymology references, history books. That is what fascinates me about reading Toni Morrison. It is not a quick read and sometimes I like that. I have time this summer, so I love it. And don't forget to read the forward where she explains the premise of the book."
June 21, 2015 –
page 10
2.93% "Literary fiction takes much longer to read and is great for people who like puzzles. You'll need a dictionary, a history book, a resource for etymology and to read the acknowledgements written by the author. This is why I love Toni Morrison's writings in the summer. I have more time to marinate on what she says, when she says it and why it was spelled that way"
March 19, 2016 –
page 170
49.85% "Reading off and on using Kindle. This is my second read since college."
March 20, 2016 –