C.G. Drews's Reviews > Riders

Riders by Veronica Rossi

bookshelves: read-2016, young-adult, paranormal, ya-male-narrators

OH THIS BOOK IS GLORIOUS. I was very very very nervous going in because (A) I loooove Biblical mythology apocalypse stories LIKE IT'S SERIOUSLY COOL THE FOUR HORSEMAN DOING HORSEY STUFF AND SMITING THINGS AND YAY, so my expectations were super high; and (B) I really didn't like Under the Never Sky. Hahahhah....whoops. But I'm a firm believer in trying an author multiple times! Especially if they try new genres! SO HERE I AM. And it so paid off. My literal only complaint is I have no idea what in the christmas pudding pie happened at the end there. Like wut. I'm so confused. BUT WE'LL GET TO THAT.

First I must flail. (Copiously.)

So we gotta talk about Biblical mythology. IT'S AWESOME. Why more books don't use it, I have no idea. They're missing out. Riders felt like Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch meets the TV show Supernatural. Which are two of my very favourite things. It's got the four horsemen of the apocalypse: War, Death, Famine, and Conquest. And if that doesn't excite your little heart, what will?

Oh I know what will: it also has demons, military, sass, an evil dragon, fiery horses, and incredibly tall stacks of pancakes.

IS THIS WHAT LOVE FEELS LIKE????

Basically the premise 100% won me over, and then continued to keep me with excellent writing. It's narrated in 1st person by Gideon Blake, who is SO SASSY. He has the best internal monologue of ever and his dialogue was equal parts realistic and funny. The whole book felt like a conversation! I LOVED IT. I was laughing out loud several times! *

* Note: "laughing out loud" means I smiled and did a little ha-ha-snort thing. But it counts. Shush.

Obviously, I loved Gideon. But I felt all the characters were pretty darn awesome. Except for the fact that we didn't really get to know Conquest/Death part of the team very well. Which disappoints me. There's this girl, Daryn, who is bringing the 4 horseman together. She gets Gideon first and then we go for Famine. So we get to know Famine VERY WELL, but Death less, and Conquest hardly at all. Like. Waaaah. They had such great personalities and interesting backstories. I WANTED MORE.

GIDEON: He's war, and an army dude, and has SUCH huge anger issues, but is also kind of charming sometimes?? But he's such an angry adorable cinnamon roll and I am a fan.
SEBASTIAN: He's Famine, Latino, and an actor and super sweet and nice and basically the best of them all. He can make people really hungry for stuff. Obviously.
• MARCUS: He's Death. I WANTED TO LOVE DEATH...but we just really don't get to know him. He's black and very angry and withdrawn and he and Gideon just punch each other all the time for no reason. Okay then, mate.
JODE: He's Conquest and British and super rich and basically IDEK know anything else because we met him about 60% through the book and then went into battle mode. So. He seems nice though.
• DARYN: She's the "Seeker" who puts all the horsemen together to go on this Grand Mission that she can't tell them about. Because of course. As a character, I liked her toughness and capability!

The plot is mostly just a journey to FIND everyone. So it's like 80% "where are u mate" and then 20% "let's fight demons with u mate". I actually really enjoyed the finding part, more so than the battles.

Oh and did I mention they travel across the world?? WHICH IS COOL. The finale takes place in Norway! They even go to Italy! YAY for travelling!

Also yay for Daryn's pancake obsession. I'm ALWAYS there for characters who really like a certain food. It's nice. #PancakeAppreciation

THERE IS JUST SO MUCH TO LOVE. Like I'm not drowning in feels, particularly, but I had a super good time. It was exciting and clever and just a really "ME" kind of book. This is the stuff I like! Magic horses that appear out of thin air and are on fire! Swords! Witty banter! Slayin' demons! WOOOOO.

But.

I have some nitpicky dislikes, unfortunately.

SMALL LIST OF NOPE:
• I question why 3 of the horseman were all in America. Like, seriously. #convienent
• I actually do NOT understand why Marcus/Gideon hated each other?? Pls explain.
• I thought it was pretty slow around the 70% mark. The pace just NOSEDIVED TO NOTHING as they trained with weapons and I just???? Nap time???
• I was actually disappointed at how little Biblical-based mythology there was after the initial "hallo these are the four horsemen of the apocalypse". I WANTED MORE. They didn't really even acknowledge any heaven/hell stuff!!
I have no idea what happened in the end. NO IDEA. I even reread chapters, but I'm just as lost as a pineapple in a shoe factory. I don't know what's going on. Who were they actually protecting in the end? Like yeah the key thing...but (view spoiler)
• SAM AND DEAN WINCHESTER WERE NOT IN THIS BOOK. (hahhaah. Just kidding. But seriously...)

ALL IN ALL: I loved it. It was fan-freaking-tastic and the writing style was so good and fun and easy to get sucked in to. I'M JUST SO HAPPY I TRIED THIS BOOK!! I mean, I have confusion and I feel a little bit like a mouldy inept grape, so please if you have answers, explain to meeeeee in the comments!! But otherwise? Heck yes I want to read all books in this series and hug them forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riders.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Veronica Rossi
“Everything seemed awesome, now that I wasn't in the mental clutches of a demon.”
Veronica Rossi, Riders
tags: gideon

June 20, 2015 – Shelved
June 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 22, 2016 – Started Reading
August 22, 2016 –
page 103
26.82% "So I was like 93% scared to read this because I didn't like the author's first series, but THIS IS TOTALLY MARVELLOUS AND SASSY AND I LIKE."
August 23, 2016 –
page 250
65.1% "For a book called "Riders" they really aren't doing much riding. But Gideon is an ANGRY PRECIOUS CINNAMON ROLL. <333 AND FOR THAT I AM PLEASED."
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
August 23, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Mironiel (new) - added it

Mironiel Blokzyl I MUST READ THIS BOOK OMG

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess The Bookworm Hahaha agreed, if Sam and Dean Winchester aren't in it, then it can't be legit ;-) Sounds interesting, I'm going to look out for it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

yay for "…incredibly tall stacks of pancakes!"

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I loved this book! Glad you did too!

message 5: by Charley (new)

Charley Robson Aaaaah I'm conflicted. I will admit, the blurb is not winning me over. At all. But if it's got sass and the Four Horsemen (one of my favourite apocryphal concepts EVER) then I'm sorely tempted to give it a go just to see? Halp!

C.G. Drews @Charely: Doooo iiiiiiit. I mean, I'm not going to shelve it as a feels fest or anything BUT IT WAS FUN. XD

C.G. Drews @Melissa: TWINNING!

@Adrian: Pancakes are one of life's greatest gifts tbh.

message 8: by Finn Longman (new)

Finn Longman I have a confuse. Why is there a War *and* a Conquest? Where is Pestilence? O.o

(I think my favourite "serious" apocalyptic horsemen book would be The Fourth Horseman by Kate Thompson. Obvs Good Omens being my favourite funny one; I just feel like they have to be separate categories.)

message 9: by Charley (new)

Charley Robson @Miriam - I think Famine is supposed to be Pestilence here. And i guess War and Conquest sounded more dramatic despite potential confusion and overlap? Then again I occasionally forget who the four are supposed to be because they come with different names - Famine/Pestilence, I think I've seen them as Plague before, War/Conquest sometimes overlap and/or get mushed together. Only one who stays distinct all the time is death. Because. Well.

message 10: by Finn Longman (new)

message 11: by Finn Longman (new)

Finn Longman Nah, Famine and Pestilence are separate. Conquest or War is the first horseman, Famine is second, Pestilence or Plague is third, and Death is fourth. Trust me, I went through a phase of being weirdly fixated on the book of Revelation and I have read that passage a few times more than is normal.

message 12: by Finn Longman (new)

Finn Longman Sorry for double post. Blame my phone.

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews Tbh I might've just messed it up. XD I'll go back and check the book.

message 14: by Finn Longman (new)

Finn Longman I looked on Wikipedia and it looks like there are some different interpretations with Conquest and Pestilence sometimes being the same thing, particularly in pop culture. My bad. To be fair, my Revelation phase was quite a few years ago now. (I think I was twelve.)

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: I love that it was "my revelation phase". You had awesome phases.

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess I'm 2.5 years late with this comment, but "lost as a pineapple in a shoe factory" is the best thing I've read in a long time.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews Jessi wrote: "I'm 2.5 years late with this comment, but "lost as a pineapple in a shoe factory" is the best thing I've read in a long time."

oh this review is such a throwback 😂😂I'm wheezing.