C.G. Drews's Reviews > Jackaby

Jackaby by William Ritter
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackaby.

June 20, 2015 – Shelved
June 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 16, 2015 – Started Reading
November 16, 2015 –
page 30
10.03% "Because I don't read blurbs I kiiinda assumed this would be by a dude. Plus, ya know, the dude on the cover. IT IS NOT."
November 17, 2015 –
page 55
18.39% "The difficult part is the audiobook narrator has given Jackaby the most awful and condescending tone of EVER. So I don't know if I dislike him, or how the narrator is portraying him. aGHHHH."
November 19, 2015 –
70.0% "The boss/commissioner police dude is TOTALLY the killer. Callin' it."
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: retelling
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: audio-books
November 19, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance
August 14, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-fiction

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Vanessa J. Cait, I felt the same, and I just LOVE your review. Abigail accepting supernatural creatures so easily was ANNOYING. I mean... how can you believe in faeries after 15 minutes of being told by a man YOU JUST MET if you NEVER believed in them?!? Ugh. and yes! Jackaby! I had high expectations for him (wanted him more intelligent),but he wasn't! Don't bother with book 2. It's even more boring.

rachel ☾ ELEMENTARY IS LIFE! <3 <3 <3 And I was disappointed with this book too. It wasn't as fantabulous as everyone said it would be.

message 3: by Bee (new) - added it

Bee Ahwww poor you! Need some cake?

message 4: by Stefani (new)

Stefani wait what? This is a Sherlock retelling?? This needs to get off my TBR. No one can do better Sherlock than Conan Doyle :D

Piepie I'm listening to the audio, which isn't bad, but I also hate the voice the narrator is doing for Jackaby! I totally get how the "Rookkkkk" gets on your nerves... me too, ha ha ha ha ;)

Sarina I think one of the problems might have been going into it thinking it was a Sherlock retelling. There is no part in the description where it says it is a "Sherlock retelling." But reading it from that perspective, I can see why you thought it was boring.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Having not gone near the audio version, and only read the physical copy, I think that may be your problem. Jackaby has been compared to Sherlock so much, when, in fact, he isn't Sherlock, and I don't think that was ever intended. I think it was an influence, but that's all. And the pacing didn't seem so slow apart from a couple of parts in the book. And I think reading from Abigail's point of view, you may see her differently.

I really enjoy this series. But it's also because I take it at its own merits -- like you said, the quirkiness, Jackaby's house, the strong secondary characters like Jenny the ghost and Douglas the duck. I don't even try comparing new books to other publications anymore (it will just lead to disappointment).

message 8: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma This is why I would never label a book as 'a retelling' unless is is VERY clearly similar. A better term would be 'inspired by'.

message 9: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie (Bookwise) I literally opened goodreads to this review RIGHT after the season premiere...