Rachel the Book Harlot's Reviews > Temping Is Hell

Temping Is Hell by Cathy Yardley

bookshelves: urban-fantasy

"Aloysius shuffled from his cramped office to the basement
for his weekly random check on the workers.
The fluorescent lights flickered high overhead, illuminating the
cinderblock walls.[...] He saw the pool of blood first, thick and
red, near the end of one of the tables. Then he saw a sensible
low-heeled shoe dangling from distended toes.[...] He rubbed his
hands over his face, feeling frustration and rage course through
his veins.

"All right, damn it," he bellowed, his voice echoing against
the concrete. "Which one of you ate another temp?"
 description
 -❖-❖-❖-
description
Temping is Hell is a funny, quirky urban fantasy that is loads of fun. I wasn't sure I would like it at first--the writing felt clunky, and the Heroine was a bit abrasive (which really was the point)--but despite that, the story hooked me. Before I knew it, I was 30% into the read and bummed that I had to set it down in order to sleep. Now that's some good storytelling.

Other random thoughts:

❖ There were some funny, laugh out loud scenes.

❖ The world-building was the standard "signing over your soul", but there was a cute and fun twist to the contracts and soul selling.

❖ Loved the characters. It took me a second to warm up to Kate, the Heroine, but she eventually won me over. She still drove me batty at times, but she was supposed to--her life is a bit of a mess due to certain aspects of her personality, some good and some not so good.

❖ I enjoyed the relationship between the H/H. I liked the buildup to something more than friendship, but the author inserted a one-nighter that felt awkward and rushed. At this point I didn't feel much chemistry between them, but there is potential as the series progresses.

❖ There was an overuse of "grimaced, wincing, and eyebrow quirking" that drove me insane. There was also an overabundance of description (for example, setting a coffee cup down, getting up, sighing, etc) that felt intrusive. This is also what made the writing feel clunky. As a reader, I don't need that much description in a scene. Give me just enough to set the scene and then let my imagination fill in the rest. After a while, I mentally edited out the description. That worked, but a good editor should have done that for me. So tsk tsk to Entangled Publishing.

All in all a very fun read. Looking forward to Book 2.

Special note: I think fans of Molly Harper's Half Moon Hollow series might enjoy this one.

Final Rating: 4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temping Is Hell.

June 20, 2015 – Shelved