Tracy's Reviews > A Conspiracy of Paper

A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss

207835

Considering this mystery focuses on 18th-century London stock fraud, it succeeds far better than I might have expected. With a few murders to season the sauce, we're off to visit some unsavory characters, both high- and low-born, Christian and Jewish. The combination of the intricate financial dealings and Benjamin Weaver's more forceful investigative style create a balance and tension throughout the novel. Weaver is a retired pugilist (The Lion of Judah) and a former petty criminal. Liss writes in a style reminiscent of the time period without getting tedious about it. His detective, or "thief-taker" in the parlance of the day, knows that he has to try to understand the stockjobbing world he's been thrown into, but sometimes his frustration results in a violent beating or two. This method yields results.

Quite a few times I was reminded of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe character. Benjamin Weaver is an outsider, but an intelligent one. His wry sense of humor and friendship with Elias Gordon were some of my favorite parts of the story.

I found this book when I was searching for historical fiction about the East India Company. The third novel in this series will find Benjamin Weaver entangled with the EIC. I'm looking forward to that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Conspiracy of Paper.

June 20, 2015 – Shelved
June 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 13, 2017 – Started Reading
April 14, 2017 –
page 48
10.86% "Jonathan Wild kept a book with the name of every felon in his employ. He'd mark a cross next to ones marked to hand over to the law. A second cross was when they were hanged: double-cross. (If not true, it's still a good story.)"
April 14, 2017 –
page 66
14.93% "Raymond Chandler-esque: He aimed directly at my jaw, and in my weariness I did not see it coming. Or rather, I did see it coming, but I could not quite remember what to do about a punch aimed full to my face."
April 15, 2017 –
page 128
28.96% "Much of it is fantasy, naturally. It is always so when men remember the past and use it to condemn the present."
April 18, 2017 –
page 392
88.69% "The barkeeper showed me nothing but terse indifference--something just shy of politeness. I made a note to myself to return to this place, for I liked its way of conducting business."
April 20, 2017 – Finished Reading