lielabell's Reviews > Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker

Dracula, My Love by Syrie James

Nov 17, 2010

Read from November 17 to 18, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This review is colored by the fact that I read Dracula In Love right before Dracula, My Love and so I can't help but compare the two. And, also, I wasn't kidding about the spoilers.

Okay, that's out of the way, now on to what I think.

OH MY GOD. Are you serious? Two books about Mina and Dracula and BOTH of them have her choosing to stay with her husband because she is pregnant? Really? Was Johnathon really so sad a character that the only way he can keep his wife's affections is by impregnating her? And is Mina really so weak willed that the thought of having a baby is enough to keep her from staying with her true love? God, what does that say about the author's opinion of mothers and motherhood? Because, honestly, I can draw no other conclusion then that a child, no matter whose child it ends up being, is enough to keep a mother on the "right" and "moral" path and justifies the sacrifice of her own independence and sexuality. FAIL.

Now, I thought it was interesting that in this book, at least, Dracula wants Mina and the child as opposed to flipping out like a New Jersey Housewife over it. And it is pretty awesome that the child turns out to be Dracula's instead of Johnathon's (although epically shitty, since Mina killed him to protect her child and his "father" but, whatever). I also liked that Mina was shown to have a case of cold feet before finding out she was preggers as well, because at least the reader can believe that she has put a little bit more thought into the whole leaving her dark lover thing instead of it just being an instant omg-must-sacrifice-my-love-for-baby decision. But... I would have liked it a whole lot more if her cold feet moment had a little more depth and a little less "but will I have to drink blood??? oh gross" because, honestly, what did you think would happen? He's only been sucking at your neck the ENTIRE book. And you thought it was so very, very noble of him to only drink from animals and willing humans before this... so... why so squicked, Mina?

*deep, disappointed sigh*

But, other than that, it was a wonderful book. And, to tell the truth, if I hadn't just read Dracula In Love and been subjected to that Dracula's epic pout fest over Mina's unborn child, I probably wouldn't have objected quite so much to what happened here. Over all, it is a fun, enjoyable read. Mina is a well developed character and her relationship with Johnathon is full of love and deep respect. You can completely sympathize with why Mina struggles to overcome her feelings for Dracula and why she is so steadfast in her resolve to at least attempt to give him up. The other characters are also well done, and I happened to particularly love Van Helsing in this. He is a total pompous bumbler, but a charming one. And he is willing to admit that maybe his blood transfusions weren't the best idea, if still steadfastly clinging to the fact that they were the only thing he could think of to save Lucy.

As much as the whole baby thing ticked me off, I still thought it was well done and pretty much true to both Dracula's and Mina's character. Plus, the way Dracula died along with the hints dropped in the epilogue make it very easy for this reader to believe that Dracula cleared the path for Mina to do what he knew she wanted by making her think that he was dead the same way he made Van Helsing and the others think the same thing. And I would be very, very happy to read any further continuation of the story that supports that theory. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula, My Love.