Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)'s Reviews > The Deal

The Deal by Elle Kennedy

bookshelves: 2015-favorites, re-read
Read 2 times. Last read June 19, 2015 to June 21, 2015.

This review was first published on Latte Nights Reviews.

One of my friends and fellow blogger Nicole from Books and Starlight  recommended me this book a while ago. She knows I ADORE the Rusk University series by Cora Carmack and she said since I loved this series so much, that I would love The Deal. I have to say that this book has made it's way into my 2015 Favorite Reads list and I have a new #1 book boyfriend. Garrett was fighting Mathias from  Never Too Late for a while...a long while but eventually Garrett won. I know, I know! I love Mathias, I adore the guy and I will always fight for him but Garrett.... Hot damn... *fans face while standing in front of very cold A/C* Not exactly working.. Garrett is... It is impossible to describe this perfect and extremely hot specimen! I was expecting a high class jerk but what I got was so much more! Garrett is smart (has A's on all of this college classes while being captain of the Hockey team), he is hot, he is sweet, very caring, amazing personality, funny, driven, goes after what he wants, has a great sense of humor, the guy has a body that will leave you drooling so much it would fill a bucket entirely.

“Look, I'm the DD tonight, but I'm offering to be more than just your driver. I'll be your bodyguard, and your bartender, and most importantly, your friend. I promise to look out for you tonight, Wellsy.”

The female protagonist of this book is Hannah, whom I found to be a very judgmental person but let's face it. Even if we say we don't judge, we always do so I honestly let that part slide. On a side note of this character, I loved that the author didn't hide what had happened to Hannah. Some female characters are even afraid of thinking that word so they just don't say it or stumble while saying it. Hannah would do the contrary—she would think it and say the word in her mind without a thought and I actually liked that because, to me it showed a sense of maturity, knowing that thinking that word won't kill you. I'm not being insensitive, I promise. If it were someone in real life, I wouldn't be thinking these things but it's just that the girls in books are always so scared of thinking that word that it just frustrates me. Again, not how I would think if it were real life. Anyways, Hannah is a very strong girl and one who definitely doesn't take bullshit. She will call you off on it and be on her way. What I also loved about  Hannah is that the girl didn't swoon immediately over Garrett. It took a long time for her to actually think of him as someone to date or kiss and this rarely happens in books. Also, Hannah was so funny and I have to say, a mood-killer but Garrett would brush it off and just laugh. He's such a good sport *sighs dreamily* The chemistry these two characters come to have is sizzling hot. I'm pretty sure volcanoes would erupt with this kind of chemistry (it is 1:54 AM while I'm writing this review so if stuff doesn't make sense, do ignore it). Anyway, the sex scenes were definitely steamy.

"Are you taking human growth hormones or something? I snatch my hand back, fighting another rush of nervousness. “There’s no way that huge man monster is fitting inside me!" [...] I might have big boobs and a grabbable ass, but have you seen my hips? Tiny and narrow! Which stands to reason that my lady canal is narrow too. You're going to rip me in half."

He raises his head and there are honest-to-God tears in his eyes. "I think that's the nicest thing a girl has ever said to me," he chokes out.

What you just read above? Yeah, there's a whole lot where that came from. I read on a few reviews that this book was filled with cliches but I honestly didn't find a single one. Yeah, there's the hockey player and the girl who helps him study for a class he's failing but that's pretty much it. I actually related to Hannah in one part. I won't say because it is very personal but let's just say there's an experience she goes through with Garrett that happened to me recently and my eyes opened up to a new world (don't laugh, please). Anyways, the supporting characters were a great addition to the story, especially the hockey team. I had so much fun reading about these crazy guys with hearts that I just couldn't deal. The only reason I would put this book down would be because I either had to study, work or eat. Other than that, I would read until my eyes would drift off and whatever I was reading would start to not make sense at all (yeah, this actually happened).

My point is you have to read this book. Do you want another reason to read this book? How about the fact that this book has a 4.40 average rating on Goodreads with 54% being 5 stars and 33% being 4 stars... You guys know that it is nearly impossible for a book to have such high ratings on Goodreads. So if that's not enough reason, I don't like you. Just kidding but seriously you have to read this book. You won't be disappointed. I'm recommending this book to everyone I can find because it must be read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deal.

Quotes Genesis Sheli Liked

Elle Kennedy
“Just out of curiosity,” she says, “after you wake up in the morning, do you admire yourself in the mirror for one hour or two?”

“Two,” I reply cheerfully.

“Do you high five yourself?”

“Of course not.” I smirk. “I kiss each of my biceps and then point to the ceiling and thank the big man upstairs for creating such a perfect male specimen.”

Elle Kennedy
“Fuck, I want to kiss her again. I want to feel her lips on mine. I want to hear that throaty noise she made the first time I sucked on her tongue.”

Elle Kennedy
“She tries to take a step down the hall, but I tug on her hand and kiss her again, and this time it's not a peck. I kiss her hard, losing myself in her taste and her heat and every damn thing about her. I never expected her. Sometimes people sneak up on you and suddenly you don't know you ever lived without them.”

Elle Kennedy
“The second I encounter his erection, my jaw drops.
“Oh my God, are you kidding me?”
He looks startled. “What’s wrong?”
“Are you taking human growth hormones or something? I snatch my hand back, fighting another rush of nervousness. “There’s no way that huge man monster is fitting inside me!”
Garrett’s head abruptly drops in the crook of his arm as a shudder racks his body. At first I think he’s pissed off. Or maybe even crying. It takes several seconds before I realize what’s happening. He’s laughing.
Scratch that – he’s in hysterics.”

Elle Kennedy
“Sometimes people sneak up on you and suddenly you don’t know how you ever lived without them.”

June 19, 2015 – Started Reading
June 19, 2015 – Shelved
June 19, 2015 –
14.0% "Okay, why haven't I read this before? It has a 4.40 average rating out of 5 with 24,522 ratings...... This is basically a 5 on Goodreads! I'm loving Garrett and I love how Hannah isn't swooning over him. This is going to be so interesting and fun and hot!!"
June 21, 2015 –
54.0% "New book boyfriend! Fucking hell, Garrett.... I might have gone to heaven. Pfft, no might have. I'm sure I did. I want Garrett ASAP."
June 21, 2015 –
59.0% "Yup, I died. Garrett is mine. Enough said."
June 21, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-favorites
June 21, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 1, 2015 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
December 1, 2015 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
December 29, 2015 – Shelved as: re-read
April 16, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)