Diane Barnes's Reviews > Thieving Forest

Thieving Forest by Martha Conway

7262060

This book hit a lot of marks for me. Pioneer living by white and native Americans in the wilds of Ohio in 1805, check. Adventure tale involving snake bites, starvation, slavery, cruelty, kindness from unexpected quarters, and courage, check. Strong women characters meeting challenges and overcoming difficulties, check. Well researched, well written historical fiction, check.

The bare bones of this novel begins with the kidnapping of the 4 Quiner sisters, witnessed by the 5th sister, Susanna, who was sent to feed the hog. She impulsively goes after them herself when she can't get any response from the men in the settlement. I thought the events that transpired as she searches for her sisters were realistically portrayed, and Native American characters and tribes very sympathetically dealt with. There was also some very beautiful and descriptive nature writing that I appreciated as well. An excellent first novel by any standards. Very highly recommended. Thanks to Sue Drees for recommending and sending me a copy. She is one of those very valuable GR friends who can be relied on. When she says something is not to be missed, she's right!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thieving Forest.

June 19, 2015 – Started Reading