Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)'s Reviews > So Much Pretty

So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman

Nov 17, 2010

it was ok
Read in March, 2011

Probably more a 2.5-3 stars.

On one hand, this was one of the most psychologically thrilling and suspenseful books I've read in a while. And on the other hand, I could not get through this novel. It just took me so long and I found myself not really dying to pick it up. I know this sounds weird but that was the way my experience was.

Firstly, the premise was interesting from the beginning to me. Immediately in the beginning of the story it points to something Alice did in the course of this novel and wanting to know what this big thing she did WAS really propelled me throughout this story. I also, from the get-go, obviously wanted to know who the killer was and what this town was hiding. Those things kept me going and the whole story that unraveled was honestly just a crazy suspenseful ride! The whole ending with Alice was insane and I just could not brace myself during the reading of the last part of the book!

But on the other hand, what kept me from truly getting into this novel was the fact of how confusing it all was. I don't mind novels from multiple perspectives or that switch back and forth in time (The Time Traveler's Wife) but this one seemed super disjointed and confusing to me especially in the beginning. It was all over the place...from this character to that character to a character from when she was 5 to now and back again. I seriously could have gotten some whiplash from all the changing perspectives and time periods. I kept getting confused of who characters were and where we were in the story and it was annoying because I felt like I kept having to go back and figure out things that I was reading. For whatever reason, this novel just slowed me down with the style...which is unfortunate because typically this does not happen with multiple narrators or switching back and forth.

I thought the moral and social issues that arose in this book were fascinating and unsettling. The story truly felt like something that could have been taken from your nightly news which is probably why I found it so disturbing..albeit there was much more drama in this book. I found it to be of much more substance than other crime thrillers that I've read and much more "literary" but unfortunately the style really just put a damper on my overall enjoyment. I honestly pushed myself to read through it just so I could find out what the heck happened! Was it worth it? In some ways but I'm not sure I would feel bad if someone would have just told me the ending. Ultimately, it packed quite a punch that I wouldn't have gotten from someone just telling me what happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Much Pretty.

Holley I agree with every aspect of this review, and I'm glad I wasnt the only one who didnt like the switching view points. Its hard to really say whether you liked or disliked it, I think.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) It really is! I can't say one way either way. lol.