Angela's Reviews > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

it was ok
bookshelves: classics, fiction

I'm glad I stuck it out & finished this one, because a) now I can say I've read some Dostoyevsky, and b) the ending was actually kind of good. (Not the epilogue, though. The epilogue was a bad call.) Also, most of the beginning was good, too! The middle, however (Parts II-V, ie, 2/3 of the book), were just kind of rambling & difficult to follow. I was expecting this book to be at least semi-awesome because HELLO IT OPENS WITH AN AXE MURDER, but after that I kind of felt like I'd been tricked into reading a parlor book. Just way, way, WAY too many scenes of people sitting around expounding on various class issues & the like whilst throwing shade at each other.

In my humble opinion, if Fyodor had gotten himself a good editor & cut out, like, 50% of the extraneous words in the middle sections, I feel like he could have tightened up the narrative & added some much-needed dramatic tension to the main story line. Can't bring yourself to read the whole thing? Read parts 1 & 6 & call it good. You'll get the dramatic/interesting parts without missing too much (besides some only semi-relevant subplots).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime and Punishment.

Started Reading