Claire (Book Blog Bird)'s Reviews > Rivals

Rivals by Jilly Cooper

Following on a few years from where Riders leaves off, Rivals throws us back into the saddle (see what I did there) in Rutshire, where Rupert Campbell-Black is now Tory (of course) Minister for Sport. Freshly divorced from Helen, he is literally shagging anything that comes within a ten-metre radius of his penis and casually sticking two fingers up to his conquests' husbands while he does it.

New to Rutshire is Declan O'Hara, an Irish talk show host with a gloriously shambolic wife and three teenage kids. Declan's been hired to be the star attraction at Corinium Television, but it soon becomes clear that he's only been hired to help Corinium keep the TV franchise. After a cataclysmic fall-out, Declan storms off only to be joined by other disgruntled Corinium staff and, in a random turn of events, Rupert and Billy once the true nature of Corinium's chief exec comes to light.

So what do a load of posho showjumping types do when faced with such dastardly deeds? Why, they form their own consortium to pitch for the TV franchise, of course! Because the transition from showjumping to television production is the natural course of events.

I'm being mean. I actually loved this book for many reasons, some of which being:

1) It has a red stiletto on the cover
2) Rupert Campbell-Black falls in love. Like, actually in love.
3) It's so eighties, it should be a crime

For me, this was actually a better read than Riders, which spent far too long going on about the rules and regulations surrounding international showjumping. Whatever. Jilly Cooper's writing is a lot tighter here and while Rivals doesn't exactly break moulds, it's a hilariously gripping read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivals.

Finished Reading