Gingercat's Reviews > Cocktails at Le Carmen

Cocktails at Le Carmen by Isabelle Andover

U 50x66
Jun 17, 2015

Thank you to Isabelle Andover and Simon & Fig for providing me with a copy of Cocktails at Le Carmen in return for an honest review and a spot on this blog tour!

The first thing that drew me to Cocktails at Le Carmen, other than the delightful cover, was the setting. I love France and I would relish the opportunity to spend some time in Paris. As such, I was excited to read about an English girl moving to Paris, how she sees the city and how she fits in with the locals.

Instead of the glamorous life imagined by her friends and family, Chloe Saddler ends up in an unknown city, without friends and without a place to live. I found the situation to be realistic and I enjoyed reading about her exploration of the city and about her gradually fitting in with life in Paris. I found myself caught up in the excitement of Chloe’s experiences and wished that I was along side her experiencing those moments with her.

The book concentrates not only on Chloe and her love life, but also throws in some great moments with her friends, old and new, and her demanding family.

The plot is straightforward and easy to understand. It is light and easy read, full of humour, romance, mishaps, misunderstandings, heartbreak…. all the factors which make a thoroughly enjoyable story!

The characters are varied and great. I loved Chloe, the protagonist of the piece. I found her to be a realistic and appealing character. I could sympathise with her struggle in leaving her boyfriend behind to start anew in Paris. I particularly enjoyed reading about Chloe’s relationship with her more demanding sister Celine (I like the addition of a French name here!) and mother, as well as meeting her friends/colleagues, both English and French, with all with their different characters. The relationship between Chloe and her English boyfriend Scott, and her crush on her hunk of a boss, Jean-Luc, was particularly fun to read about.

I really enjoyed Isabelle Andover’s style of writing and found myself completely absorbed in Chloe’s story. I liked to references to fashion/clothing speckled throughout the book and I’m guessing that the author is quite a fashionista herself?

I found myself reading Cocktails at Le Carmen in two sittings, racing through it, and I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book was a fabulous piece of escapism, albeit the ending seemed to work out just a tad too perfectly for my liking. For the romantics amongst us, Cocktails at Le Carmen is truly a modern-day fairytale!

Overall, I thought Cocktails at Le Carmen was an easy, entertaining and fun read. I’m looking forward to the next offering from Isabelle Andover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cocktails at Le Carmen.

June 17, 2015 – Started Reading