~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~'s Reviews > Strange Bedfellows

Strange Bedfellows by Cardeno C.

Cardeno C books are my crack. I've read nearly every single one, and I enjoyed them all.

I liked this one too, but, as much as it pains me to say it, I didn't love it.

First, the positives:

The relationship between Ford and Trevor is all kinds of gooey and spicy. While this book isn't quite as steamy as some of Cardeno's other books, it certainly includes some intense, dirty sex.

Ford loves it when Trevor talks dirty, and so do I. And Ford's shy but oh-so-eager demeanor is all kinds of hawtt (yes, spelled just like that).

I also liked Ford's parents, Mr. and Mrs. President, particularly his mother, who has a cunning blend of ruthlessness, smarts, and softness (at least for her son) that I found endearing. But, hell, I love strong women.

The ending is a HEA, of course, although I could have done without the epilogue. Not that it was bad, but it focused on Ford's political career, which I couldn't bring myself to care about.

And that brings me to the negatives, or rather the issues *I* had with this book (which may not bother you at all):

Ford comes from a Republican family and runs on a Republican ticket. He's also a conservative Christian and prays all the time. And yet he has no problem embracing his sexuality and coming out to his parents. Yes, it takes him 37 years, but once he meets Trevor, it's all systems go.

This didn't strike me as believable.

Conservative, religious Republicans in the U.S. are not ... well, they're not like Ford.

The United States is polarized and bleeding at the seams, and I just couldn't see how the son of a Democratic president and a Republican representative had anything in common besides hot sex.

It's not just labels; there are real issues at stake, including healthcare; a woman's jurisdiction over her body; a person's right to die with dignity; funding for Planned Parenthood, education, welfare, and early childhood programs vs. funding for war and weapons; the environment; gun control; police brutality; cutting taxes for the wealthy while raising taxes for the poor; and, YES, same-sex marriage.

None of this is touched upon. This book glides happily along the surface, and I found this unrealistic and more than a little frustrating (even with my fiction shades firmly in place).

That being said, many of the conversations between Ford and Trevor made me smile.

I loved the scene where Ford opens the door in his pajamas and slippers, and Trevor salivates for his prim and proper man, stripping him of his pajama pants and nothing else.

It helps that Trevor is a gillionaire and can call on his private jet to take him to Ford's doorstep whenever Ford is upset.

Hell, I'm feeling jipped!

I would still recommend this book if you're a CC fan. It contains lots of charm, steamy lovin', and sweet feels.

I am just very touchy when it comes to religion and politics, and couldn't get past it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Bedfellows.

June 16, 2015 – Started Reading
June 16, 2015 – Shelved
June 16, 2015 – Shelved as: m-m
June 17, 2015 – Shelved as: feel-good-low-angst
June 17, 2015 – Shelved as: bisexual-ofy
June 17, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

BWT (Belen) I am so jealous!!!

message 2: by Ele (new)

Ele *gasp* A CC book you didn't love! I am usually reluctant when it comes to books with political content, mostly because I am not that familiar with your political system. I know the basics about Republicans and Democrats. Will it be enough for this, you think?

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Eleftheria wrote: "*gasp* A CC book you didn't love! I am usually reluctant when it comes to books with political content, mostly because I am not that familiar with your political system. I know the basics about Re..."

Probably, because it doesn't tell you ANYTHING about Democrats vs. Republicans. It brushes aside all the BIG huge differences. It will most likely bother you a lot less, because you can keep the fiction shades on.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ BWT (Belen) wrote: "I am so jealous!!!"

I didn't love it, so don't be too jealous. ;)

message 5: by Ele (new)

Ele ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Eleftheria wrote: "*gasp* A CC book you didn't love! I am usually reluctant when it comes to books with political content, mostly because I am not that familiar with your political system. I know ..."

Huh...ok, I 'll try to keep my heart shaped glasses on:)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Richele, I didn't expect a political expose, but the complete gloss over bugged me a bit.

message 7: by Jewel (new)

Jewel I suspect I would have exactly the same issues that you did, Dani. I'll put this book in my 'maybe' box. Awesome review, as always.

message 8: by *J* Too Many Books Too Little Time (last edited Jun 18, 2015 06:34AM) (new) - added it

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time Hawtt (yes, spelled just like that) review Dani! lol! I kind of like political books, which is odd because I don't care for politics. But I do want a gillionaire that can call on his private jet to take him to MY doorstep whenever I'm upset. Or when I just need some lovin'! LOL!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Jewel wrote: "I suspect I would have exactly the same issues that you did, Dani. I'll put this book in my 'maybe' box. Awesome review, as always."

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "Hawtt (yes, spelled just like that) review Dani! lol! I kind of like political books, which is odd because I don't care for politics. But I do want a gillionaire that can call on his private jet..."

We should look into leasing. ;)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Richele ♥'s Hudson & Seb wrote: "Dani wrote: "Richele, I didn't expect a political expose, but the complete gloss over bugged me a bit."

I wouldn't either. But the complete lack of discussion on at least one major issue seems odd."

Not a one. :(

message 12: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Harrington Great review, Dani! The stuff you didn't like will probably bother me, too. But I think I'll still read this because it does sound really good apart from that. :D

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Trish, it was. The two MCs are adorable together. Politics just makes me crazy.

message 14: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Harrington ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Trish, it was. The two MCs are adorable together. Politics just makes me crazy."

It can drive me crazy, too. But I know about it in advance, so I should be okay. :)

message 15: by Exina (new)

Exina Awesome review, Dani!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Exina wrote: "Awesome review, Dani!"

:) thank you, E!

message 17: by Jewel (new)

Jewel ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "I just think our political system is seriously fucked up, and political lines might as well be walls of steel.

Trevor didn't like politics, but he's a smart guy and yet there was no discussion of any issues, Ford´s voting record, or hot button topics. "

Yep. Don't even get me started...

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Jewel wrote: "Yep. Don't even get me started...

Seems like they would at least have a discussion. I get that not all couples are aligned politically or religiously, but to not even talk about it? I couldn't see me doing that. "

This is not even about the book anymore, but I'll be totally honest: I could not be close friends and certainly not romantic partners with someone who didn't share my core believes.

Differences are great ... to a degree. It's one thing to disagree about movie genres or spicy food, but I couldn't hang with a devout Christian (seeing's how I'm an agnostic Jew), or someone who is anti-immigration (hello, I'm an immigrant), anti a woman's right to make decisions over her own body (I'm a woman. Enough said.), or homophobic (goes without saying!).

It's not like my friends and I sit around talking politics all the time. Discussions crop up on occasion, and we sometimes come at an issue from slightly different angles, but coming to an understanding is more like building a small stone pathway vs. attempting to cross a chasm with rusty wood and rope.

I don't like to argue politics with people. I avoid it like the plague. But I can't in good conscience stand by and say nothing if someone is being racist, misogynistic, or homophobic.

message 19: by Saba (new)

Saba When I read the blurb I was intrigued mainly for the differences of core beliefs between the MCs- I'm so glad I read your review before picking this up:)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Oh, no, differences weren't discussed.

message 21: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha I want to lick that gif.

Katrina Passick Lumsden You perfectly touched on my feelings about this one. As an atheist and a liberal, I find it difficult to be friends with praying, church-going, "family values" conservatives. Being in a committed relationship with one? I know it's possible for two people with differing views to be in a relationship, but it's a hell of a lot of hard work. And how, exactly, does Ford reconcile his sexuality and the issues that arise from it with his conservative, Bible thumping upbringing?

Cardeno tried to tackle a serious obstacle here, but just sort of steered us all around it instead.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Katrina wrote: "You perfectly touched on my feelings about this one. As an atheist and a liberal, I find it difficult to be friends with praying, church-going, "family values" conservatives. Being in a committed r..."

Exactly! I feel the same. See my response to Jewel above. I couldn't be close friends or romantic partners with someone who didn't share most of my viewpoints. I'm an intellectual, liberal, feminist, agnostic Jew, so my viewpoints mostly don't mesh with heartland America.