neverwhere's Reviews > Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes

Compound a Felony by Elinor Gray

Jun 16, 2015

bookshelves: bdsm, netgalley, pastiche, sherlock-holmes, arcs, nsfw, historical-fiction

ARC kindly provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Compound a Felony is an excellent Sherlock Holmes pastiche, written in the style of the original Conan Doyle stories and offering a 'behind the scenes' view of what life might have really been like for the famous detective and his doctor. It's also a blisteringly hot BDSM romance, and honestly the most achingly erotic novel I've ever read.

The book chronicles the first twenty years of Holmes and Watson's acquaintance, with each chapter detailing a significant milestone in their relationship, told from alternating POVs. As they deepen their bond beyond mere friendship, they discover the emotional importance of the 'game' they play; Watson calming and quieting the rampaging mind that 'threatens to tear itself to pieces' without a case, Holmes allowing Watson to feel needed and embrace his 'baser' instincts, both using the language of dominance and submission to express the emotional truths they often find so difficult to speak aloud.

While some readers might find the BDSM aspects in the novel 'tame', they are nonetheless the best I've ever seen in a published work - beautifully written, emotionally compelling, realistically portrayed, and above all consensual. I would not hesitate to recommend Compound a Felony to anyone who desires proper representation of a D/s relationship, as well as those simply looking for a scorchingly hot read. From the from references to ACD canon and well researched depictions of Victorian London life, to the delicate intimacy that felt like a privilege for the reader to witness, there's so much CaF has to offer, and makes this erotic novel stand out from the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compound a Felony.

June 16, 2015 – Started Reading
July 6, 2015 – Shelved as: sherlock-holmes
July 6, 2015 – Shelved as: arcs
July 6, 2015 – Shelved as: nsfw
July 6, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction

Synesthesia *actually breaking the sonic barrier with how fast i am adding this to my to-be-read-pile*

neverwhere Singularfate wrote: "*actually breaking the sonic barrier with how fast i am adding this to my to-be-read-pile*"

YESSSSSSS

message 3: by Xan (new) - added it

Xan West ok this makes me want to read at once.

neverwhere Xan wrote: "ok this makes me want to read at once."

*grins* I thought you might want to read this! I read CoF before For Real so it's no longer my absolute favourite, best representative D/s relationship, but it's definitely tied :) It's just such a lovely, intimate character study above all else, and a sweet little comfort read.