Ed's Reviews > Tommyland

Jan 21, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: memoir-biography, non-fiction
Read in February, 2007

I'll need to cast my mind back for Tommyland. I would only recommend it for those truly interested in Tommy Lee himself. If you're wanting the general story of the drugs and chaos surrounding Motley Crue, then The Dirt is the only way to go.

Don't go into this expecting a serious, thought-provoking memoir. You'll be disappointed. This is Tommy Lee, for goodness sake. The book sets a conversational tone, its sentences punctuated with 'dude's and 'bro's and various other Californian surfer-dude quips. Kudos to co-writer Anthony Bozza for managing to keep the thing sounding personal.

You'll need a sense of humor for this book. Right from the beginning it becomes clear that we'll be hearing plenty of words of wisdom from none other than...er...Tommy's penis. There is an entire chapter dedicated to Tommy's sex tips, and another chapter singing the praises of Jagermeister.

It's not all fun and games though. Tommy goes into more detail over his time in jail that he was able to in The Dirt, and perhaps the most moving part of the book is the account of his son's birthday party, where a six-year-old boy drowned in his swimming pool. Throughout it all, however, Tommy manages to keep an upbeat and optimistic attitude which makes a pleasant change from all the usual doom-and-gloom tales of woe you can pick up at your local bookstore.

Despite all his bad press, I can't help but like Tommy Lee. Sure he may be an immature jerk sometimes but he clearly loves his kids and he loves life, so fair play to him!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tommyland.