Annie Hawthorne's Reviews > The Code of the Woosters

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse

bookshelves: favorites, cozy-literature, comedic, everyone-ought-to-read, wodehouse
Read 2 times. Last read October 28, 2017 to December 11, 2017.

Sweet gingersnaps, this book is the definition of hilarious. I laughed until I cried.

In a nutshell: READ. IT. Cancel the appointments, pretend you don't have a job, put your magnum opus on hold, skip the lessons about learning how to make a Joyful Noise, call off the wedding, forget about sleeping, do whatever it takes to make time in your schedule to read this gem. You will never regret it.

Toodle-oo, chums. I toddle off to break the last surviving mantelpiece ornament (read the book, you'll understand).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Code of the Woosters.

Quotes Annie Liked

P.G. Wodehouse
“There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
"The mood will pass, sir.”

P.G. Wodehouse
“I suppose even Dictators have their chummy moments, when they put their feet up and relax with the boys, but it was plain from the outset that if Roderick Spode had a sunnier side, he had not come with any idea of exhibiting it now. His manner was curt. One sensed the absence of the bonhomous note.
...
Here he laid a hand on my shoulder, and I can't remember when I have experienced anything more unpleasant. Apart from what Jeeves would have called the symbolism of the action, he had a grip like the bite of a horse.
"Did you say 'Oh yes?'" he asked.
"Oh no," I assured him.”

P.G. Wodehouse
“It was a silver cow. But when I say 'cow', don't go running away with the idea of some decent, self-respecting cudster such as you may observe loading grass into itself in the nearest meadow. This was a sinister, leering, Underworld sort of animal, the kind that would spit out of the side of its mouth for twopence.”

P.G. Wodehouse
“a chap who's supposed to stop chaps pinching things from chaps having a chap come along and pinch something from him.”

P.G. Wodehouse
“If I might suggest, sir—it is, of course, merely a palliative—but it has often been found in times of despondency that the assumption of formal evening dress has a stimulating effect on the morale.”

P.G. Wodehouse
“You can’t fling the hands up in a passionate gesture when you are driving a car at fifty miles an hour. Otherwise, I should have done so.”

P.G. Wodehouse
“She laughed - a bit louder than I could have wished in my frail state of health, but then she is always a woman who tends to bring plaster falling from the ceiling when amused.”

P.G. Wodehouse
“There is a fog, sir. If you will recollect, we are now in Autumn – season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.”

June 16, 2015 – Started Reading
June 24, 2015 – Shelved as: everyone-ought-to-read
June 24, 2015 – Shelved as: wodehouse
October 28, 2017 – Started Reading
December 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Emily After such a review, I had to go put it on hold. ;) It will be a fantastic treat for my off time.

message 2: by Hayden (new)

Hayden haha! This one is my favorite in the series, I think. :)

message 3: by Joy (new) - added it

Joy C. Goodness, cancel my wedding to read this book, Annie my Loveable Goosie? That is high praise for such a book! I have 3 Wodehouse books so far, but this one isn't on my shelves. I have to get into his books, got to indeed.

p. s. I loved your review! it was CUTE!

Hanna-col I need to hunt this down. I do not own it and neither do my sisters. I see a hopefully short quest to procure this paragon of hilarity stretching out before me. Annie, my dear, nobody makes me want to read and find more Wodehouse like you do. Carry on!

message 5: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Chapman I've never read Wodehouse. I think it's kind of a necessity now, after reading this review. ^.^

Suzannah This.