Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > Last Days

Last Days by Adam Nevill

Jun 16, 2015

bookshelves: liburry-book, read-2015, screws-with-the-mind, scary-stuff, cultish

I've been seeing Adam Nevill books pop up in my feed lately because my friend Sha has been reading the heck out of them.
Sha..you owe me some new drawers. Because I think I shat in mine while reading this book.
Chicago commercial photographers

Kyle is a independent documentary filmmaker with a few titles to his name..such as his ground breaking work "Covens"
Chicago commercial photographers
(Yes, I will use any excuse at all to use an Covens gif-get over it)

He is approached with "an offer he can't refuse". A rich weirdo named Max wants him to look into a cult that was massacred in 1975 in the desert. The cult was The Temple of the Last Days and the slaughter even included it's leader Sister Katherine.

Sister Katherine was not a good girl.
Chicago commercial photographers

Once Kyle and his camera man Dan start the story they realize that there is more than Max was telling them.
Chicago commercial photographers

On location they realize that something is there with them.
Chicago commercial photographers

Then Kyle starts to have nightmares.
Chicago commercial photographers

This crap scared me. I don't scare real easy. I could not read this book at night..just couldn't.

The only fault I had in the story was that it does move very, very slow...but you just can't stop reading the hot mess of it.

I think this one gif would pretty much sum up how I feel about this book but I'm going to spoiler it so I don't traumatize the 'not so jaded' people on my friends list.

(view spoiler)

*insert cackles after you look at that gif*

Booksource: Library

Chicago commercial photographers

My friend Sha of course should be spotlighted here but she didn't write a review...I bet she is still hid in her covers after reading this one. She did do some awesome updates for this sucker though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Days.

June 16, 2015 – Shelved
October 16, 2015 – Started Reading
October 18, 2015 –
page 88
16.57% "In the tail of the gust, that must have been generated from the summit of the property, came a final sound: the excited shriek of swine.\n Chicago commercial photographers\n \n Kelly! Mitchell has been sneaking out and getting into trouble again."
October 20, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Susan (last edited Oct 19, 2015 07:09AM) (new) - added it

Susan May I don't think I can now unsee that video. Thanks so much Shelby, I will be having nightmares with pigs in them now!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Susan wrote: "I don't think I can now unseen that video. Thanks so much Shelby, I will be having nightmares with pigs in them now!"

This book is going to give me lots of nightmares. :D

sha. {"go book yourself"} Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "This book is going to give me lots of nightmares. :D"

if it makes you feel any better, I did have nightmare about it too (I was home alone that one time, so scaredy cat mode was on :P)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* sha. {"go book yourself"} wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "This book is going to give me lots of nightmares. :D"

I'm totally going to not be able to get this stuff out of my mind. I hate to admit it because it sounds like I'm a weirdo but that's a sign of a good horror book. LOL

sha. {"go book yourself"} totally not a weirdo*! I was so happy when I ~found the author through NOGOA (plsplspls read it) because that book really scared me shitless. It was a random find, but a gem-worthy find :D

*and hey, if that's made you a weirdo, then I guess I am too. We can claim a corner and totally have a party there ^_^

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* sha. {"go book yourself"} wrote: "totally not a weirdo*! I was so happy when I ~found the author through NOGOA (plsplspls read it) because that book really scared me shitless. It was a random find, but a gem-worthy find :D

*and he..."

I so love a party. :P

I'm going to. It may be next month before I get to it but it's on!

message 7: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan May Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Susan wrote: "I don't think I can now unseen that video. Thanks so much Shelby, I will be having nightmares with pigs in them now!"

This book is going to give me lots of nightmares. :D"

LOL

message 8: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan May Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "sha. {"go book yourself"} wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "This book is going to give me lots of nightmares. :D"

if it makes you feel any better, I did have nightmare about it to..."

I love horror. So rare to find a great horror novel. Looking forward to your review.

message 9: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Hicks Just ordered this one for Kindle. Only $2.99 at the moment. It's been in my wishlist for a while, so happy to hear you dug it. :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Michael wrote: "Just ordered this one for Kindle. Only $2.99 at the moment. It's been in my wishlist for a while, so happy to hear you dug it. :)"

It is worth every penny. Hope you like it. Feels weird to hope you like something that scared the crap out of me.

message 11: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Hicks I need a good scare!

Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Simon~Gianluca & Archer FAB review Shelby!! :)
xoxoxoxo

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Michael wrote: "I need a good scare!"

LOL! We might be weird. :D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Dean and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "FAB review Shelby!! :)
xoxoxoxo"

Stay away from this sucker then Patty girl! :P

Kelly (and the Book Boar) How did I miss this review? Want to read very badly!!!! Work needs to stop being such a turd so I can check the feeds/get a lunch break or I'll have to write it a Dear Asshole letter.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "How did I miss this review? Want to read very badly!!!! Work needs to stop being such a turd so I can check the feeds/get a lunch break or I'll have to write it a Dear Asshole letter."

I just posted it this morning. LOL! I sat up all freaking night because I'm a dumbass and read it at night and then couldn't sleep.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I tried to scroll through once and then got interrupted and started again. I think GR ate yours off my feed the first time around and showed it to me now.

message 18: by Shelby *trains flying monkeys* (last edited Oct 20, 2015 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "I tried to scroll through once and then got interrupted and started again. I think GR ate yours off my feed the first time around and showed it to me now."

GR tries to keep us apart since we tend to do our best to piss of everyone. LOL!
We shall still take over the world!! Or at least piss people off anyways. It would probably take too much energy to be bothered with world domination.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) If we can dominate the world while sitting on the couch and drinking beers I'm totally willing to give it a shot.

Zoeytron Great review and great gifs, Shelby. I like swilling beer while lounging on the couch, as well. ;-)

Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Simon~Gianluca & Archer Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Dean and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "FAB review Shelby!! :)
xoxoxoxo"

Stay ..."

LMFAO!!!
I most def will!!

sha. {"go book yourself"} aww yissss! Great review, Shelby!
(and ty for namedropping me, tho you don't have to do that *blushes*)

anywaaaay *sends virtual drawers*

okay now that I got the one out of way, I REGRET NOTHING RE: REC THIS BOOK TO YOU. OR ANYONE REALLY. *evil cackles* Honestly I'm just thrilled that you end up liking Last Days. I feel like Adam Nevill deserves more recognition for giving us all more materials for our nightmares (not that our nightmares already lack of it, but yeah, still props to the dude). And I know I said it, like, 28137128 times already but I can't wait until you get a hold on No One Gets Out Alive because that book is scarier. Better written. More awesome.

I bet she is still hid in her covers after reading this one
nope, I don't hide under cover anymore... Ju On movie ruined that one for me :C
(view spoiler)

Aj the Ravenous Reader OMG! You totally got me, Shelby. I looked at that gif spoiler. LMAO! Awesome review as always!^^

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Zoeytron wrote: "Great review and great gifs, Shelby. I like swilling beer while lounging on the couch, as well. ;-)"

I'll push Kelly over on that couch and you can help us take over the world.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* sha. {"go book yourself"} wrote: "aww yissss! Great review, Shelby!
(and ty for namedropping me, tho you don't have to do that *blushes*)

anywaaaay *sends virtual drawers*

okay now that I got the one out of way, I REGRET NOTHIN..."

I will. I can't wait to read more by him. Which if it's scarier I really will need some new drawers. LOL

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "OMG! You totally got me, Shelby. I looked at that gif spoiler. LMAO! Awesome review as always!^^"

I knew someone would! LOL

message 27: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan May I just saw the latest Paranormal last night Ghost Dimensions. This sounds a bit like that. BTW, the latest and last Paranormal isn't too bad. Same 'ol, same 'ol, but why change a formula that works. A couple of more gray hairs on my head now.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Susan wrote: "I just saw the latest Paranormal last night Ghost Dimensions. This sounds a bit like that. BTW, the latest and last Paranormal isn't too bad. Same 'ol, same 'ol, but why change a formula that works..."

I've got lots of those gray things. I just slap color on them. LOL

This is kinda reminiscent of that..and Blair Witch.
Freaky stuff

message 29: by S.M. (new)

S.M. West LMAO, I always love your gifs! Great review.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Suzanne wrote: "LMAO, I always love your gifs! Great review."

:) thanks Suzanne

message 31: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan May Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Susan wrote: "I just saw the latest Paranormal last night Ghost Dimensions. This sounds a bit like that. BTW, the latest and last Paranormal isn't too bad. Same 'ol, same 'ol, but why change a form..."

Oh yes I slap color over my whole head, I'm so gray, but this turns the color white as well. lol.

message 32: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Nice review!!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Mandy wrote: "Nice review!!!"

Thanks Mandy :)

message 34: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh Love your reviews, Shelby! I haven't read any of Adam Nevill's books yet. I got burned out on the horror genre for a while, but I keep hearing good stuff about his novels. I'll look for this one.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kurt wrote: "Love your reviews, Shelby! I haven't read any of Adam Nevill's books yet. I got burned out on the horror genre for a while, but I keep hearing good stuff about his novels. I'll look for this one."

I need to read more of his but right now my mind can't handle reading much of anything. Book slumps suck.