Sandi's Reviews > To Say Nothing of the Dog

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Jan 21, 2008

bookshelves: 2009, sci-fi, funny-stuff
Read 2 times. Last read May 12, 2009.

I read To Say Nothing of the Dog about ten years ago and loved it, but I remembered so little about it. I was delighted to meet Connie Willis at the 2009 Los Angeles Times Festival of Books and get a signed copy. It turns out that the book is just as entertaining as I remember and quite a bit more complex. I had remembered the frenetic search for the bishop's bird stump and that it was really quite ugly. I had forgotten all the explanations of how the net worked and how things all worked out. I remembered the cat, but not the dog.

Last year, I tried to read the book that inspired Willis, Three Men in a Boat, and didn't make it through. It was funny, but repetitive and soon became boring. Willis avoids the flaws of Jerome while maintaining the slapstick spirit. Ultimately, it was the slapstick that I had remembered best about this book. You really don't have to read Three Men in a Boat to appreciate To Say Nothing of the Dog, but it does give you an appreciation of Ned's fan-boy reaction when he actually sees Jerome K. Jerome and his buddies boating up the Thames.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Finished Reading