Emmi's Reviews > Don't Tell

Don't Tell by Karen      Rose

Nov 15, 2010

it was ok

I'm sure I'll be crucified for saying this, because it seems that everyone loved this book but... I just wasn't feeling it.

Yes, Rose conveys the fear, anguish, and terror a woman must endure in an abusive relationship. She also clearly shows the strength and determination that is needed to get out of such a horrible situation. On those counts, bravo.

My issue with this book was the relationship between Caroline and Max. It comes across as just a lot of "i love you's" and fights with no time in between for the "i love you" to have any substance. Don't get me wrong, I've read plenty of romances where the h/h meet and are madly in love with in 24 hours; you may have to suspend reality a bit, but usually there is a overpowering force driving the couple together. Not so in this story. Caroline, the abuse victim seems to be tending to Max's sore ego for an third of the book. The other third is spent fighting with him, and then the rest is her being too afraid to tell him about her past (not for fear of being discovered, but b/c he won't want her anymore -- this after they tell each other "i love you" every other scene)

Overall, good book... just not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Tell.

November 15, 2010 – Started Reading