Maxine (Booklover Catlady)'s Reviews > Pretty Girls

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

I've been late to the table as a Karin Slaughter fan, hard to believe as a crime fiction lover. I adored her book Cop Town and was excited to read this new stand alone thriller.

With a missing girl in the news, Claire Scott can’t help but be reminded of her sister, who disappeared twenty years ago in a mystery that was never solved.

But when Claire begins to learn the truth about her sister, nothing will ever be the same.

I found this book to have an interesting plot if somewhat up and down in pace. Karin is without question an outstanding writer and all of her books have depth and detail that keeps you well aware of what's going on.

I enjoyed more aspects of the plot than others but I'm not sharing any with you, so there. The characters are all very well done, enough damaged characters to keep me happy.

The concept of finding out your husband is not who you thought he was has been tackled a lot in many genres of books but Karin tackles it from a very chilling and disturbing angle. I've been through this experience personally (not the version in the book thank God!)

It's a book full of psychological twists, enough to keep to wondering, guessing and wanting more. I think this stand-alone book of Karin's may attract a new legion of fans discovering both her new books and the many successful books that have gone before.

4 paw prints from Booklover Catlady for this one. Highly recommended reading!

For more of my reviews find me at:

Follow me on Twitter! I talk back!

I received a review copy if this book thanks to the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Girls.

June 15, 2015 – Shelved
June 23, 2015 –
68.0% "Really good twist."
72.0% "Speechless...."
June 23, 2015 –
75.0% "It takes a LOT to disturb me in a book but it's happening.."
June 24, 2015 –
September 10, 2015 – Shelved as: dysfunctional-people
September 10, 2015 – Shelved as: favourite-authors
September 10, 2015 – Shelved as: psychological-thriller
September 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Stefanie I love Karin Slaughter so excited to hear your thoughts on this one!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Will be on it again soon, about to finish another then get back into this

Shawna P. I'm reading it right now, so far so good!

message 4: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue After your great review, Maxine, I want to read it.

message 5: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Nice review, Maxine. I'm looking forward to this one and trying to collect her other books. Was really impressed with Coptown.

message 6: by Britney (new)

Britney Good review. I have yet to read any of her books.

message 7: by James (new)

James Thane Nice review, Maxine. I'm reading this for one of my book clubs next week. Glad to know it's a good one.