Jen's Reviews > 2010: Odyssey Two

2010 by Arthur C. Clarke

Nov 15, 2010

As soon as I finished reading this I thought, man, I wish I didn't suck so badly at science, because being an astronomer would be SO FREAKING COOL.

But I do suck so badly at science, so I just get to read wonders like this and wish I was half as good a writer as Arthur C. Clarke, who gets to be really friggin' smart in TWO CAREERS, which is totally unfair.

There are several great things about this book. First, and one of the things that I love to read old sci-fi books for, is what Clarke in the 80s thought 2010 was going to look like. Some of it is actually kind of close, which is pretty cool, and some of it is either useless and we never bothered to create it or it's still beyond us in terms of technology. Second, I read the first book about seven years ago and have completely forgotten it, so the references in this were a little lost on me. But that totally doesn't matter! This isn't a completely stand-alone book, but it's not nearly as intricately dependent on the first book as it could be. Yes, you need to know the original plot, but beyond that you're good to go. Third, HOW DOES CLARKE MANAGE TO KEEP YOU ENGAGED WITHOUT ANY SORT OF REAL VILLAIN? This is how you know you're scary good; half of the book is trying to figure out what's going on with crazy computer Hal, unless it's dealing with the strange things on Europa, or wait, there are these aliens that aren't aliens SURPRISE DAVID BOWMAN I mean what? And yet, I couldn't put it down. I really, really wanted to know what was going to happen, and I may track down the next book, because Clarke is made of scientific awesome.

Also, the descriptions of the solar system? Beautiful, man. Word paintings.

I only give it four stars because the ending felt a little flat (and by ending, I mean the last 5 or so pages, and the epilogue was...I don't know what it was, but it felt a little forced). Perhaps this will be remedied by reading book three, I don't know, but it felt a tad anticlimactic, and therefore is cheated out of its fifth star. Sorry, Zagadka.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2010.

November 15, 2010 – Started Reading
November 15, 2010 – Shelved
December 1, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Julie S. Wonderful review. +1 Like.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Thanks!

Crystal Excellent review! I wish I was better at math & science so I could do sciency stuff. Alas, I suck so badly at both it's a travesty. Anywho, your review was awesome!

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Crystal wrote: "Excellent review! I wish I was better at math & science so I could do sciency stuff. Alas, I suck so badly at both it's a travesty. Anywho, your review was awesome!"

Many thanks, Crystal!