☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė's Reviews > Jackaby

Jackaby by William Ritter

This book was pretty good. A young and normal lady named Abigail Rook came to America from Europe escaping her past life and parents. She starts looking for a job and, against the town's prejudice and opinions, starts to work for Mr. R.F. Jackaby. Jackaby is an eccentric man who is used to the unnatural instead of the normal. He is reluctant to hire Abigail but soon relents and they work together to solve the mystery of a serial killer/unknown monster. There is a hint of romance between Abigail and someone else (I can't tell you and spoil it) which I would like to see continue in the rest of the series. There is lots of action, mystery, suspense, complaints/compliments from Jackaby, and lots of other supernatural characters.
Favorite quotes:
“I prefer to look after myself, ma’am, but thank you. I appreciate your concern for my well-being, but some of us have more pressing matters to attend to than practicing our curtsies and turning foolishly sized bonnets into topiaries.”
“I have ceased concerning myself with how things look to others, Abigail Rook. I suggest you do the same. In my experience, others are generally wrong.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackaby.

Quotes ☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ Liked

William Ritter
“So she’s just a mad woman?”

Jackaby hesitated, and when he spoke, his answer had a soft earnestness to it. “Hatun sees a different world than you or I, a far more frightening one, full of far more terrible dangers, and still she chooses to be the hero whom that world needs. She has saved this town and its people from countless monsters countless times. That the battles are usually in her head does not lessen the bravery of it. The hardest battles always are.”

William Ritter
“illusions, so many masks and facades. All the world’s a stage, as they say, and I seem to have the only seat in the house with a view behind the curtain.”

June 15, 2015 – Started Reading