Kimberly's Reviews > How to Be a Woman

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

bookshelves: borrowed-from-library, biography, nonfiction, women

I really freaking liked this book, which is a light commentary on feminism framed around events in Moran's life as she ages from 13 to 35 years old. It's cheeky and borderline rude in parts, but the observations are so wise. There are gut-punch parts and laugh-out-loud on the train parts.

I'm infertile, so the "Why You Should Have Children" chapter stung. But that's my own hangup. The next chapter "Why You Should Not Have Children" helped, but it's obvious what side Moran's on. And that's okay. Again, my own hangup. Sometimes good writing stings.

If you're a capital-A Academic, you'll probably prefer other books on the subject. If you're easily offended, this isn't your book. But if you're a GenX woman who wasn't a Women's History major, this book is like listening to one of your crazy best friends talk passionately about feminism.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Woman.

June 15, 2015 – Shelved
June 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 6, 2016 – Started Reading
April 6, 2016 –
32.0% "It's a laugh-on-the-train book."
April 7, 2016 –
61.0% "Not to be a generational twit, but this is definitely a GenXer's book. It's sharp and funny and a bit inappropriate in a way that would irritate more sensitive souls."
April 8, 2016 – Shelved as: borrowed-from-library