Justin's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

did not like it

The first chapter was great. I was expecting an exciting mystery/thriller. I was anxious to find out how Lydia disappeared.

Then, the rest of the book happened.

I hated all of the characters. I hated the perfectly executed sentences. I hated the story. I hated the ending.

Oh, and I really hated how half of the book was written in italics. I would usually insert something sarcastic or witty here about the use of italics in the book, but I just can't do it. But, man, I hated her overuse of slanting letters to the right and writing choppy sentence fragments to attempt to make me care more about this stupid book.

First, it was The Martian

Then, it was The Girl on the Train

And now it's this horrible, lifeless book with wooden characters that no one cares about and hundreds of wasted pages on the past of the stupid characters that no one cares about.

I'm done with popular, overhyped books like this. There are too many great books out there, and I refuse to waste my time on something like this again.

Hey, was I clear on how much I hated this book?

Just wanted to be sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

June 14, 2015 – Shelved
June 14, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 8, 2015 – Started Reading
August 8, 2015 –
page 25
8.22% "Notes on Chapter 1: This is depressing."
August 9, 2015 –
page 87
28.62% "The backstory is important, right? Please tell me the backstory is important."
August 10, 2015 –
page 124
40.79% "I don't know, man. I just don't know."
August 11, 2015 –
page 158
51.97% "This isn't what I thought it was going to be."
August 13, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)

Pamela Yay! Someone who hated this overpolished, overwritten, load of crap as much as I did!

As for Girl on the Train--agree with you 100%. Stupid story. Stupid concept. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

I tried to read The Martian last year, but couldn't get past the first few pages. A few weeks ago, I tried the audio book and enjoyed it. I've found that if I do an audio version of pop-lit it's much better. Somehow my standards of what goes into my ears isn't nearly as high as what goes into my eyes. :)

Holly Ha. My book club selected this book for this month (haven't started it yet). Joy.

Justin Oh it's definitely a book club book. Good luck!

Pamela Holly, just skim it. This thing is criminally overwritten, so a quick skim is all you need--or all it deserves. :)

Holly Unfortunately, I'm allergic to skimming. Even moreso thatn terrible writing!

Justin "Criminally overwritten" is a perfect two-word summary of this book.

Jennifer Masterson I thought this one was over-hyped too! I also agree with you about "The Girl On The Train"! I liked "The Martian"and I liked the movie even better than the book.

Justin The movie was really good, I just couldn't stand the book. I think The Martian was actually better than this one though. :)

Jennifer Masterson Justin wrote: "The movie was really good, I just couldn't stand the book. I think The Martian was actually better than this one though. :)"

I agree! Looking back I probably should have given this book a straight up 3. I gave it 3 1/2. Yeah The Martian translated better on screen. I think because of all the science stuff.

Justin Haha... you're too kind in your reviews. You can always go back and update it. :)

Jennifer Masterson Justin wrote: "Haha... you're too kind in your reviews. You can always go back and update it. :)"

Maybe I will! Someday maybe! Lol :)

Corey I feel like this is exactly how I felt about this book. I liked very little pieces of it, maybe I should change my rating, because quite honestly your review is everything I thought when I finished it.

Becca Marie Kocsis Late to the party on this review but I think you've stumbled upon why I like this book but didn't love it. I knew that I found most of the characters unlikeable (Hannah and Jack were exceptions b/c I felt like they were the two characters that were honest with themselves) but I didn't wholly dislike them. I found the cadence and tone of the book odd but couldn't figure out why until I read 'over-written'. So I guess what I'm trying to clumsily say is very insightful review, much appreciate it!

message 14: by CKL (new) - rated it 5 stars

CKL Because the book didn't fit your expectation as a mystery thriller so you trashed the book? Maybe found out more before committing to it? And if you hate it so much, why bother reading the whole thing? As someone who is Asian, I think Ng wrote accurately on the characters, their internal struggles, family dynamic. Too bad you can't understand the difference in cultural dynamic, but honestly I found your review and words a little too harsh, unfair, and uncalled for!

Justin No, it wasn't that it didn't meet my expectations. It just wasn't a good book. Lots of books weren't what I expecting, often was great results. I just didn't like the writing or the story, and lots of other people loved it, and that's awesome. That's the beautiful thing about Goodreads- having a chance to read what others think about a book and discussing it with them, gaining different perspectives, etc. It has nothing at all to do with Asian culture or not understanding stuff, I just didn't like it, and I review a book as soon as I finish it so I. An capture how I feel right away. On this case, I hated the book and that's how I set after reading it. It's cool.

message 16: by Adina (new) - added it

Adina Wow. Such an honest review. Enjoyed it.

Jennifer Oh balls. I just started reading this but didn't check out any reviews first. Oops. I rarely read contemporary books and it's because they're usually garbage. Sounds like I might be in for more of the same here!

Jennifer Another thing I have noticed is that anything written in the last 5-10 years by a woman with the words girl, woman, you, me or I in the title sucks. I'm not hating this so far but the last time you reviewed a book that fit the criteria I mentioned ("You") and gave it s terrible rating, you were completely correct. We shall see how this goes for me. :P

Justin Whew! Good luck with this one! I completely agree with your analysis of books with those titles. Seems to be a trend in publishing lately ever since Gone Girl took off, and the books are very similar. There's some good stuff out there from the past few years though. Just gotta dig through the junk a little bit.

message 20: by Andi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andi Yes! I love your review and completely agree with the other two books you mentioned! I'm halfway through and forcing myself to finish this.

Justin Oh man I would just put it down. Just drop it like it's hot and never look back. Just noticed you read Exit West and that is next up for me!

message 22: by Ginger (new)

Ginger I agree with you on the overhyped books Justin. Why does this happen?! *shaking my damn head*

Justin For real. I've tried to be more selective lately. I actually have a huge stack of library books on my nightstand waiting to be read, and I feel like all of them are going to be winners. Best library haul ever! I can't wait to get into them. And they were all things I sought out for different reasons, not because I felt like being sold to me. I think that changes the relationship a little bit.

message 24: by ChopinFC (new)

ChopinFC So wait did you actually disliked this book? *sarcastic laugh*

Heather Several of my friends on GR gave it 4-5 stars, so when I finished it and rated it one star, as you did, I felt weird, like maybe I'd missed something. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who thought this book was absolutely horrible! :P

Justin It's been a while, but I felt the same way. It's weird feeling like you missed something. But were all different and that's beautiful, I guess. I just can't get onboard with this one at all.

message 27: by Ginger (last edited Apr 13, 2017 07:16PM) (new)

Ginger Justin wrote: "For real. I've tried to be more selective lately. I actually have a huge stack of library books on my nightstand waiting to be read, and I feel like all of them are going to be winners. Best librar..."

Good for you and sounds like a good haul! I've been doing the same. Trying to read books that sound interesting or promising to me regardless of the hype. I still need to read Fahrenheit 451 though because you said so. ;) haha

Justin What?! You should've finished that by now! Come on!! ;)

message 29: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Justin wrote: "What?! You should've finished that by now! Come on!! ;)"

Oh shit... *looking around for ninja Justin to attack* :D
Seriously, this month or next, it's going down!!

message 30: by Negin (new)

Negin Justin, thank you for a fabulous review. This was on my to-read list and I really don't think I'd like it at all. I'm also tired of over-hyped and trendy books. Life is too short to read rubbish like that.

message 31: by Lex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lex Poot I am on page 160 and completely agree with you. I am done with overhyped books as well. In future I will think twice before purchasing a book.

Justin Yeah sorry man. There's some good ones out there, but this one was just not my thing at all. Luckily I got it from the library so I didn't have to pay for it.

Trudie Oh yes, I hear you on this one

Justin High five, Trudie! High five!

message 35: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I agree with you. I never understood the rave about this book. I thought it was a solid three or under. And have the same bothers that you did.

Hilary Ledford You stole the words out of my mouth.

message 37: by Wari (new) - added it

Wari Singh I was about to buy this one but was scared of the hype around it. I think I will stay away from this one. Absolutely hated Girl on the Train and I would heed the advice of any reviewer who hated it too. :)

Kathleen Walker Justin, you are spot on. This book is an abomination. I can’t believe that such a rubbish plot with those horrendous characters is receiving global acclaim. Reading your review and other’s comments made me stop feeling I was alone in a world gone mad. Thanks!

Justin Thanks, Kathleen! You’re in good company here!

message 40: by Dave (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dave I wonder if her new book is equally Ng (as in No Good).

message 41: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I didn't care for this either. The second book, the reviews are all over the map.

Justin I noticed her latest book was the winner this year... and the plot is intriguing... but... man, I don’t know if I can go down that road again.

Belle I love your reviews and ratings Justin. They always surprise me. I rated this at 5 but that was a long time ago. I'm not sure if that's what I would think today. spare yourself Little Fires. It's the book where she perfects everything you hated about this one Ha!

message 44: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Defranc Great review Justin, nice to say it like it hit you!! Hope your next book is marvelous!!

Anne ✨ Justin wrote: "I noticed her latest book was the winner this year... and the plot is intriguing... but... man, I don’t know if I can go down that road again."
Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking! I think it will be quite some time (if ever!) before I'm willing to give the new one a try, based on my similar dislike of this one!

Justin It’s so tempting, right Anne? There it is all over the place, winning awards, looking all cool and stuff. I just can’t though. Maybe one day...

message 47: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill I really disliked Everything I Never Told You as well, but loved Little Fires Everywhere. Go figure.

Justin I think I’ll give it a shot. I wanna give it some time and want to make sure I go into it with an open mind and no bias. It’s cool to hear you enjoyed that one though.

Sarah Glad this review is showing up again on my feed :)

message 50: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Ehlers Justin wrote: "I think I’ll give it a shot. I wanna give it some time and want to make sure I go into it with an open mind and no bias. It’s cool to hear you enjoyed that one though."

I'll put a vote in the "don't do it" column. I haven't read this one, but I hated Little Fires Everywhere and think it's the most unjustly hyped book of the year.

« previous 1