Paul Bryant's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

bookshelves: novels

I’m struggling to figure out what makes this quite so great, it could be Truman’s beautiful limpid style which winds its sentences through your inner ear so that you might think that language itself had been melted and turned into vanilla frosting or it could be that this is the sweet sad little tale of a guy who met this creature and got stuck permanently in the friend zone, and kind of almost didn’t really mind because at least the friend zone was something and not nothing, that’s how entranced he was, or it could be that one of the major characters is a cat. It could be that it’s funny, and kind, and that Holly says some really surprising things (just to mention one, that she thinks people of the same sex should be allowed to get married – in 1958!). But this novelette is a small 100 page thing, a drifting fragrance, a single chord, a glint, a hello then goodbye too soon, too soon – ah yes, itself therefore being the perfect embodiment of the Holly Golightly experience. So, of course – that’s why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

June 14, 2015 – Started Reading
June 14, 2015 – Shelved
June 14, 2015 –
page 50
31.85% "this is a reread - I couldn't remember anything about the book - Audrey Hepburn had taken over my whole memory.... did any movie star embody any literary character so perfectly? - but I'm remembering now that the book is way saucier than the film, not so surprisingly"
June 15, 2015 – Shelved as: novels
June 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Of course, it's Capote commenting on gay marriage. I always thought of Capote as wanting to understand what it's like to be a woman - or maybe more accurately - studying how women attract men. He wasn't the prettiest girl at the dance, even when he was young.

Paul Bryant In this case the unstatedly gay narrator works completely in the story's favour because the straight reader translates the relationship into an understandable one where he's being dazzled by this out of reach yet oh so close girl. The story works perfectly both ways. (I thought Truman was considerd rather fetching when a youth. He will be the subject of the next big bio I will read).

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Yes, Capote was kind of the prettiest thing at the dance when he was young.The very pretty author's photo on his first book was commented upon-- by I forget whom-- as being Dorian Gray in reverse: "the photo stayed young and beautiful and pure as Capote became wizened and wicked."

Lulufrances This is my favourite review I've read on Breakfast at Tiffany's! Beautifully put.

Paul Bryant thanks!

message 6: by P.E. (last edited Jun 18, 2018 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

P.E. 'it could be that this is the sweet sad little tale of a guy who met this creature and got stuck permanently in the friend zone, and kind of almost didn’t really mind because at least the friend zone was something and not nothing'

You have the knack to put it in a neat way!
Thanks for this rewarding review, Paul.

Paul Bryant my pleasure PE!

Paul  Perry For me, the wonder is partly that Capote paints such an unexpected, nuanced portrait of the characters and their relationship, in a beautiful little framework that examines how they get through the world and the compromises they make

Paul Bryant yes, agreed